Installing Windows 8 on a dual drive-MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Pklopfen, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Pklopfen macrumors newbie

Can anyone explain to me how I would install Windows 8 onto the HDD in my optical bay?

I have an SSD in the main bay and put the original HDD in the opti-bay. I want to do a Boot Camp partition on the HDD and then run Parallels from the SSD. The only issue I have been finding while researching this is that you need to have the SuperDrive in to install the HDD. Just wanted some sage advice on how to install the Windows partition. Thanks in advance.

2. Crzyrio macrumors 65816

Why do you think you need the SuperDrive to install the HDD? I do not follow you.

Also your Windows performance in Parallels will suffer greatly by the Boot camp partition being on the HDD.

3. Yahooligan macrumors 6502a

Yahooligan

Bootcamp/Windows with an optibay just doesn't work, I tried everything. Not even talking about trying to install to the optibay HDD, but anywhere. For whatever reason it's unable to boot properly and if you do manage to get the Windows installer to start up it will tell you the drive isn't supported and to please specify the driver location.

Remove the optibay HDD and BootCamp installs without a hitch. :(

4. Pklopfen thread starter macrumors newbie

I was under the impression that you could only install Windows/Bootcamp through using a disc? If that's wrong then I must be misinformed.

I wanted the option to be able to boot into Windows, but also to switch over in OS X (thus Parallels) and use some programs. I didn't want to have to install it twice but if the Parallels performance will be hindered by having it on the HDD then maybe I'll just have to install it to the SSD.

5. ecsjr macrumors newbie

Helping hand:
    First, yes you are misinformed. Technically, the SuperDrive can be removed and Bootcamp will still proceed, however it will create a Windows Install disk for you on a USB flash drive. (You must have that Windows OS in ISO or DMG form.)

The problem arises ONLY if you attempt to Dual boot from the same drive, when said drive is located in the Optibay.

If you have one OS on the main drive bay, and one OS on the Optibay, then success.
    If you have both OS dual booting from the same drive sitting in the main drive bay, and use the Optibay only for storage backup, then again, success.
    BUT if you want both OS on optibay, and use main drive bay for storage, I have yet to find success with this setup.