Installing Windows 8 Preview on 2011 iMac OSX Lion

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by jack2789, Aug 27, 2012.

1. jack2789 macrumors newbie

So I'm trying to install the new release preview of Windows 8 on my iMac.
    - I am trying to install the iso provided on the microsoft website
    - I open up bootcamp (version4.0.3) and I notice that there is no "create windows 7 disk via usb" option like there normally is, it just isn't there (it is not grayed out).
    That is where I'm stuck, that option is not there so I can't create a disk on my flash drive/external hard drive using that iso.
    I don't know why that option isn't there, and I want to know why it isn't there and how I can make a windows 8 install CD with a flash drive/external HD.
    Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks.

2. mac-hacks macrumors regular

answer to ? right there in front of you. all you need to do is search forum.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=15483249&postcount=1

3. jack2789 thread starter macrumors newbie

That post doesn't help me at all, I don't understand that post and it doesn't fix my problem.

4. tdar, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2012

tdar macrumors 6502a

No that post is way too hard.

OK here is the problem, your imac will not boot the Windows 8 installer from a USB key or hard disk without some help that I would not recommend. I always do it from a DVD (yeah I know) . So you need to burn the ISO to a DVD. When your boot the mac, hold down the option key and select the DVD to boot from. I wish that Apple would enable the full EFI boot system. then you could boot from a Windows 8 USB stick, but sadly they don't.

If you should need disk burning directions try this:http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20060619181010389

5. jack2789 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I was hoping to boot from the USB, so I don't have to go out and buy some DVDs. Oh well, thanks for the help! Also what kind of DVDs will i need?

6. tdar macrumors 6502a

Regular Single layer