Installing Windows 8 Pro - will this version work?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by CivCX, Sep 15, 2013.

1. CivCX macrumors newbie

I'm looking to get a legit copy of Windows 8 so I can install it on my Macbook Air with Boot Camp. I found a student offer for Windows 8 Pro (http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/productID.264954100) but it says you need to have an earlier edition of Windows installed already which I don't have. Is there no workaround for this? Windows 8 for $69.99 would be an awesome deal.

2. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

While there may be a technical workaround to make it install, you would be violating the license agreement if you purchased, downloaded, and installed it without a prior version. It would really be no different than borrowing a friends copy and installing it in regards to the license agreement. If you are a student, check with your school to see if you can get it through DreamSpark.

3. CivCX thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I technically do have a prior version of Windows. I have a couple of laptops laying around the house that have XP and 7 on it. That counts, no?

Anyways, I ended up purchasing the Pro Upgrade. Should work no problem based on my research.