Installing windows, big problem

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mamakin5, Sep 12, 2008.

1. mamakin5 macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, I am forced to have a windows partition on my new MacBook because none of my embroidery software works on Macs. I hope that does change soon. I did the bootcamp partition and made the mistake of using a windows xp service pack 1 cd not knowing that it had to be service pack 2 or higher. Got the error message, boot disk can't be found, nothing happens. I have to restart, holding down the option key to get it to the boot menu, otherwise it keeps booting into the boot camp partition and hangs up. I bought a new windows xp service pack 2, and I am still getting the same message. I have removed and partitioned at least 3x with the same results. I went to the
    Genius Bar yesterday and they suggested that I reformat (right word?) the entire drive and start over. They said it could be that putting in the service pack 1 cd might have put something on the hard drive that is not being removed when I remove the partition. I have a time machine backup. So my question is, how do I clean off the drive completely and reinstall Leopard? Will it reformat it in the process? I have been search on exactly how to proceed with this and all I can find on the apple site is what to back up, but not the actual process.

Any help is greatly appreciated. TIA

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

have you checked
    System Preferences / Startup Disk

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

During install you can select an Option button (bottom left/middle), one which gives you the option to completely Erase the hard disk, and make a new installation of Mac OS, and one to archive and install.

But beware, there are two Option buttons during setup, the first for the hard disk options, and the second to select what and what not to install.

4. mamakin5 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the first disk in the drive, restart and hold down the option key? Or the C key? I want to completely clear the drive. That was recommended to me at the Apple store yesterday and then install Leopard.

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

If you put the DVD in while Mac OS is running you can just click on the Install Leopard icon. It then wants you to restart by clicking the button "Restart".

When the Mac restarts it boots right into the Mac OS installer, with window after window for you to set what you can set.

When you are at the window to select the volume you want to use, there should be a button called "options". There you take the first install method I think (erase).

If you've already shut down the computer with the disc inside, you can boot from CD/DVD by pressing and holding the C key.

Or you can press and hold the ALT key, to start the "boot manager", which gives you all the available boot devices (drives internal and external).

6. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

probably just choosing "Erase and install" is not enough. After booting from the installation disc, run the Disc Utility (available from a menu) and use this to reformat(!) the hard drive; then exit and go ahead with the installation.

7. mamakin5 thread starter macrumors newbie