Installing Windows (Bootcamp) from External FW800 DVD drive.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by odinsride, Mar 31, 2011.

1. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

Hi,

I just want to confirm with others whether or not it's possible to install Windows Bootcamp from an external FW800 drive, before I tear down my MBP and put the optical drive back in just for this purpose.

I recently upgraded my MBP with an SSD + Optical Bay Mounting kit from OWC to use my original HDD as storage. I plan on creating a small partition on the original HDD for Bootcamp.

I have not had much success booting to the Windows 7 install disc from my external drive, and have done a bit of reading - following suggestions to try using Refit, etc. Still no luck.

If I get no other suggestions, I will have to put my optical drive back in my MBP, and put my original HDD back in the primary bay just to install bootcamp. Then I will put my original HDD back in the opti-bay mount, and put my SSD back in the primary bay - just trying to avoid all of these steps if possible.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Can install with USB harddrive with some work, but it'll be faster just to put the optical drive back in.

3. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

I'm in that same boat as you, but for the life of me I cannot get it to boot of the thumb drive that I made (and yes it works with two other pcs)

4. odinsride thread starter macrumors 65816

odinsride

Thanks for the responses...looks like i'll have a tedious little project for the weekend :rolleyes: