Installing windows - do it when I get my mac or later?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by medicinejar, Jun 14, 2011.

1. medicinejar macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am buying a new mac fairly soon. I have been debating whether to install windows on it right away (likely XP which I already own) or whether I can wait. Personally, my preference is to wait as it may turn out 1) that I really don't need it or 2) if I decide I need it, I could buy windows 8 when its released.

I will be getting mac office which, from what I understand, should allow me to take ms windows office files from where I work, work on them on the mac at home, and then continue to work on them on the windows based system at my workplace. Please let me know if its not as seemless as I have been led to believe.

But, I can still see the need to having access to Windows at home and I do wonder if its just best to establish the windows on the system right away or if it makes any difference. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Cheers

2. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

pick up a virtual software and install windows however if you can afford it i would move to windows 7 since its already going to be a clean install

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It doesn't really make a difference, but I don't believe the Macs that are currently out support XP anymore.

Office for Mac and Windows Office files are interchangeable, as long as you're using 07 or later. 03 might have issues, but that's rarely used anymore.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Correct. Support for native installs of XP (i.e. drivers) is nonexistent for currently shipping Macs.

However, you can still run XP in a VM on them just fine, which in most cases is fine for Ofiice type work.

B

5. medicinejar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for advice - next steps in buying/installing Windows 7

Thanks for all the information. I think I will spring for Windows 7 and do it when my new Mac arrives. Some quick questions:

1) Does it matter what version of Windows 7 I get? I am inclined to get the Home Premium edition which I think would serve my purposes but will gladly take advice from others on this.
    2) Can I get an upgrade and simply use my old Windows XP disc in order to install (I know I did something similar with Office years back) or do I need to buy the full edition?
    3)Can anyone recommend a good website/page with step by step instructions on how I would go about doing the installation. I have had a look around the net but I am not sure which is the most reliable.

Thanks very much to everyone for you help on this.

Cheers

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

See here: http://guides.macrumors.com/Choosing_which_version_of_Windows_7_to_install for a discussion of which Windows to get.

You can install from retail upgrade media without even having XP or Vista. http://www.winsupersite.com/article/windows-7/clean-install-windows-7-with-upgrade-media I don't recommend using a license that is invalid, but as long as you feel you are justified in using an upgrade version, there is nothing stopping you.

I think Apple's guide is complete enough. http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Boot_Camp_Install-Setup_10.6.pdf

B

7. vistadude macrumors 65816

Install windows ASAP, or at least make the bootcamp partitions and any other partitions. There have been a number of people who couldn't make a bootcamp partition because certain Mac files could not be moved. I think the solution was to reinstall Mac OS X, which is certainly not convenient later on.

8. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

I hardly find any use for windows. I have mac apps that do all the things i need them to, and if i really need to run a windows app i'll do it with Wine. Wine is free. While it's buggier than a virtualized version of Windows it uses less resources and you don't have to buy a Windows license.