Installing Windows For First Time on 2011 MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mprofit, Aug 23, 2015.

1. mprofit macrumors regular

mprofit

I'm interested in installing Windows on my computer for gaming purposes. Problem is, it's a 2011 model (so no Windows 10 support via Bootcamp, at least officially). I would love if someone could outline to me some options for installing Windows. I'm guessing buying Windows 7/8 would be one way to go, but I know Microsoft has stopped selling those versions officially, so I'd be relying on eBay (or whatever), for better or worse. I also got the sense (from this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...6-no-support-for-systems-before-2012.1907386/) that there are ways to get around the Bootcamp 6 restriction on pre 2012 Macs, but I can't really follow from that thread what I'd need to do; I'm not tech illiterate, but I can't quite understand the steps.

If I left out anything that might be helpful to know, please let me know.

2. macenied, Aug 23, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2015

macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

I'd recommend to install Windows 7/8/8.1 first to be able to use the required and more or less automated repartitioning OSX will do for you. Choose the supported Windows version by Apple for your computer and follow the Bootcamp Assistant process ( if you have a choice 32 or 64 Bit, use 64 Bit ). No need to buy the "old" Windows, just download an appropriate ISO from the web, this should do the job. Download the ISO from a reputable source and check the MD5 checksum. You can run any Windows without a license key for a minimum of 30 days. Then buy or update to W10.

3. mprofit thread starter macrumors regular

mprofit

So pardon my ignorance, but what is an ISO? Is that some sort of official version of Windows sold by third parties? Do you have some sources in mind from which I could download either 7, 8, or 8.1? Could I then buy a copy of either Windows 7 or 8, instead of 10? I assume the older versions are cheaper, and I just need Windows for games.

Thanks for the help.

4. macenied, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015

macenied macrumors 6502a

macenied

An ISO file is a 1:1 copy ( image ) of a CD or DVD. It can be used to create bootable installation media.

Digital River is hosting some Windows ISO images, AFAIK.

5. Gjwilly, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015

Gjwilly macrumors 68030

Digital River isn't hosting them any more but you can download them directly from Microsoft here
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/home

There's also a seller in the Marketplace right now selling licenses for Windows 8.1.
    http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/windows-8-1-pro-and-enterprise-license-key-45-50.1900181/

You could ask him if he has any more for Windows 7.
    That might run better on an older machine and the UI is definitely better.
    Both 7 and 8 are entitled to free upgrades to 10 if you ever get the driver situation for your particular Mac sorted out.

Once you've bought the key you go to the Microsoft website and download the installer.
    You'll have a choice of a making a DVD installer or a USB drive installer.
    For your 2011 you'll want to use DVD to avoid headaches.
    And you'll probably want to do this on an actual PC.
    I don't think the Microsoft downloader will support Mac.

Then run Bootcamp assistant which will partition your drive and download the necessary drivers.
    Reboot the Mac when Bootcamp assistant tells you to and use your downloaded installer to install Windows.

6. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

I would just buy a physical copy of Windows 8.1 and have it shipped. It will come on a DVD so all you'll need to do is put the disc in your drive and run Boot Camp Assistant.

7. mprofit thread starter macrumors regular

mprofit

Awesome, thanks so much for the help everyone. A few more questions. I'm not able to view the marketplace. I thought you needed >100 posts, which I have, but I guess not. Can you tell me for how much the seller is advertising W 8.1/7? If I were to buy this on Amazon, I would need to avoid the refurbished PC options, right (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=windows+7)?

8. CoastalOR, Aug 27, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2015

CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

FYI, you need 250 posts and a member for 180 days for Marketplace access.

9. mprofit thread starter macrumors regular

mprofit

Bumping my thread here with two new questions. I'm looking to purchase Windows 7 from Amazon at this link (http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Profe...p/B00LG25894/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8). First question. It seems some of the reviews on Amazon offer conflicting reports of whether buying this particular product for purposes of installing it, through bootcamp, on a Mac will work. Can someone please confirm to me that I'll be able to do just that on my laptop, if I purchase the linked product?

Second question: Whenever I buy a new Mac, will I be able to use the same product key that comes with the linked product to once again install a copy of Windows 7 on the new computer, once I remove it from my current one?