Installing Windows from Linux

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Abscissa, Aug 25, 2010.

1. Abscissa macrumors regular

OK, I have an issue. Well my friend does. He got a macbook pro for free and it doesn't have OS X but it does have Linux on it. He is sick of Linux and he doesn't want to spend $120 through Apple for OS X. But anyways, he wants me to put Windows XP on it tomorrow.

But my question is how do I go about getting XP onto his laptop from Linux, and remove linux?

I tried my OS X disc that came with my macbook, even though I knew that wouldn't work. And it didn't. I read somewhere that it's possible to get XP without having boot camp...so you wouldn't have the drivers for ANYTHING in XP. So could I use my OS X disc for the drivers if I was able to get XP.

Thanks in advance.

2. demonguard macrumors newbie

The only solution that comes to mind is getting ahold of an OS X disk, installing it, and then Boot Camp-ing the supported way.

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

4. I Am Steve Jobs macrumors member

$29 if your upgrading from Leopard. Otherwise, you pay the full price.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sure Apple secretly wishes everyone is going to do that, but that's not likely. ;)

6. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

The $29 Snow Leopard can be installed on a blank hard drive. The difference between the upgrade and full editions is the EULA.

I have used my Snow Leopard upgrade DVD to install OS X on an empty hard drive.

7. farmermac macrumors 6502a

Your friends mbp came with a license for leopard so you can use that upgrade disc legally

You can also call apple and get new restore discs for cheap

8. killer bear macrumors newbie

I think theoretically you can creat a partition under linux and use a windows installation disk to install windows on that partition.

9. snaky69 macrumors 603

Buy the 29$ snow leopard disc, it has everything you need, including the drivers, to remove linux, install OS X, bootcamp and install windows.

10. Giuly macrumors 68040

Giuly

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Only thing it says is "With the usage of this product you agree with the terms of the EULA", but no Windows-like big letters saying "UPDATE!!1". It doesn't even say on any printed papers included that this contains a "Leopard Update License". They should be grateful that people actually buying those DVDs, I guess they are, that's why they restrict the usage via EULA to satisfy share holders rather then via checks in the software - they could really easily do this with copy-and-paste of the Check-For-Downgrade code and modify the version number to check for update.
    It doesn't even state that you need Leopard installed, just an Intel-Mac with 1GB of RAM and 5GB hard drive space.
    On the page they state to check for additional requirements it only says "Get the Mac Box set, because it comes with Snow Leopard PLUS new iLife and new iWork." rather than keep on using the iLife+iWork '06 or '08 which is probably installed on your Tiger-running Mac.

Until anybody points out the part of the EULA that states "The $29 DVD is only eligable for update from Leopard", this is the one and only Mac OS X Snow Leopard version for me.

As stated, just install Mac OS X. A Mac is nothing that should run Windows-only. Windows XP on a MacBook Pro is, well, wastage.

11. Abscissa thread starter macrumors regular

Well, I though that was an upgrade, meaning you HAVE to have Leopard installed.

That's what I thought.

So he can buy a $30 snow leopard pack, without having Leopard installed or existent on his MBP?

Yeah I put MY Leopard disc in and it registered but then it said unable to install (which I assume is because you can't use any disc on any device). I thought he'd have to get the regular one

I called apple and they said they sell regular Leopard disc for $129

Alright. That's new to me. I figured it was an update/upgrade that required 10.5.x

----
    So basically, we should just go to the apple store and buy a Snow Leopard disc for $29? As I said a little bit earlier, there's NO trace of Leopard on his HD. Just Linux.

12. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

13. Abscissa thread starter macrumors regular

Alright everyone. Thanks for the quick and valuable input! Now if I see someone selling a mac on CraigsList for cheap because there's no OS I can fix it for $30 dollars. haha.

I let everyone know how it goes, JUST in case it doesn't.

14. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

Good luck, broken Apple stuff on CL lasts a few hours at best. ;) I've tried too. :)

15. Abscissa thread starter macrumors regular

There's a few on ours with like broken screens and whatnot.

16. Abscissa thread starter macrumors regular

Hey everyone, just wanted to let you guys know the situation of this. I told my friend to go buy the $30 disc from bestbuy and he did. As I know a lot more about macs than he does (and he didn't have another computer to help assist in the installation) he gave up. He brought it to me and I had to erase the drives and partition (the normal stuff) and it's currently being installed.

Wow, this macbook is old. 100GB HD, I think its like a macbook pro 2.1...And damn it's been through a lot. It's been run over by a car haha. The keyboard is bent outward (the middle is higher), and it still works. Everything still works. We have a macbook pro 3.1 and it's like 37 months old, so I can only imagine this.

But, thank you everyone. You saved him $100.