Installing windows media.sitx

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
After downloading windows media player from downloads.com I tried to install the program but when I click on it I get a message telling me to chose an application I am new to osx so I dont know what to do here please help im sure its something simple.

*note-I did try to expand the download but it says that it is not a compressed file so I dont think that is the problem.

gangst

macrumors 6502a
Dec 27, 2004
UK
Have you got Stuffit Expznder installed in your Aplications folder (may be in you Utilities folder, found inside the Apps folder)? If so select that and then you'l be able to install Windows Media Player. If you don't have it go to http://www.stuffit.com/mac/index.html and download the trial.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
i do have stuffit expander installed on my computer.... i couldn't find it on the macintosh hd under apps but spotlight found it instantly.

when i open expander and click expand from the file menu then select the file from the desktop it tells me that the file does not appear to be compressed or encoded....

whats my next step?

thaanks

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
I have a brand new imac G5 so system requirements and os requirements arn't relevant...

i tried downloading it from where YELLOW suggested but i got the same thing (.sitx which stuffit expander claims is not compressed and if i just double click the icon it asks me to choose an application but i don't know what to choose)

I am lost and need some help

thanks.

AP_piano295

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
thanks alot... turns out I had version 6 or some old thing and the new version of stuffit works fine

thanks for all ur help