Installing Windows on a secondary SSD

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Dman91, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Dman91 macrumors member

Hello Folks

I have a early 2011 Macbook pro ( i7 2.2ghz ) 128gb apple ssd, disk space is running out so I decided to buy a samsung 840 evo 250gb ssd, I want to place the samsung in to the old ssd and use the apple ssd as a secondary drive in place of the optical drive.

My question is can I install Windows separately on the second SSD?

If it is not possible, will the second drive be accessible to both OS?

Thanks in advance

2. illusionx macrumors 6502

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I believe if you're looking to install windows, you'll need the optical disk drive. Macs with optical drives cannot install windows via a usb thumb drive.

4. illusionx macrumors 6502

It is possible to install windows from a USB drive. Just google it.

5. Dman91 thread starter macrumors member

I have read in several places that the bootcamp drive must be on the same disk as OS X so I am a little confused.

Can you please link me to a tutorial about installing windows on a separate SSD?

Thanks

6. illusionx macrumors 6502

I would remove the primary SSD and install windows as if on a normal pc bypassing bootcamp installer, since you are using a whole disk for windows. Then download the bootcamp drivers from apple. Once everything works, put back your primary SSD.

Boot holding option to select your boot device.

Only reason to only leave 1 drive in the system because windows installer overrides all boot loaders on the primary drive no matter where the installation drive chosen.

Anyways.. That's how I would do it from experience. YMMV

7. Dman91 thread starter macrumors member

You mean having only 1 drive during the installation or having one drive all the time?

thanks

8. illusionx macrumors 6502

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

For macs that don't have optical drives, yes but I think its going to be problematic for a Mac that has an optical drive

10. Dman91 thread starter macrumors member

I'm not an expert or anything, but if I'm not wrong installing windows directly would use Mac's EFI, which i see a lot of people complain about not been able to get audio , or graphic card working?

As I said I am not experienced in this so please correct me if I am wrong.

And I just saw in an other thread here that windows won't boot if its placed in the optical bay, since Microsoft doesn't allow it to be run on secondary drives? is this true?

Thanks

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There does seem to be some issues with drivers when installing windows via the EFI method. I'm not sure why, since I never went down that route myself but you are correct regarding the audio.

12. Dman91, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014

Dman91 thread starter macrumors member

Is there any other way beside EFI or bootcamp assistant?

I read something about legacy bios but not sure what its about.

13. illusionx macrumors 6502

Wouldn't it still end up the same thing using bootcamp or direct EFI?
    Apple EFI manages the boot sequence... I don't see an issue here. You would still need to install the bootcamp drivers once you are in windows...

You should test it before you put conclusions it won't work.

There are no issues with windows booting off a different drive than the "primary" one on any systems. It's just installation might be tricky if you install windows while another primary drive is present since windows would probably install its boot loader on that instead.

14. Freyqq macrumors 68040

depends on the mac model. The newer ones can boot off USB.

15. Dman91 thread starter macrumors member

Today I wanted to try and install windows 8.1 Pro. I followed a guide form a blog, and according to their instructions , when you insert the windows dvd and option click while booting, there should be a windows and efi option beside the mac HD , but I don't see that option.

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks

16. damir662 macrumors newbie

I'm having issues! Please Help!

Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread!

MBP 2012

Main Bay: Samsung 840 Pro 250GB - Running OSX
    Optibay: Samsung EVO 250GB - (want to) Run win 7

What I want: 840Pro in main bay running OSX and EVO in optibay running WIN7.

I've installed everything but it shows up "cant find bootable device".

Installed windows with bootcamp by running OSX through USB, the EVO in main bay and installing with win7 dvd.

Took everything out, put in OSX in main bay, evo in optibay, took out superdrive. NOTHING.

Did pram reset and now it doesnt even see the evo with win 7 on it. Its there as a drive but I cant do anything with it.

What am I doing wrong?

Any help is appreciated.

17. Dman91 thread starter macrumors member

I have searched everywhere I can't find anything , I have tried two different Windows DVD, there is no efi option when I option click during boot up, there is only mac HD , recovery 10.9 and Windows DVD. any suggestions?

Thanks

18. damir662 macrumors newbie

refit?

19. Dman91 thread starter macrumors member

I was hoping to do it without third party boot managers, it seems that everyone is able to boot efi with just the windows dvd I was hoping to do so as well.

I am currently looking into refind.

20. illusionx macrumors 6502

I think the only way is to use a 2013+ Mac. The new ones are uefi 2.0 while the older ones are not 2.0 compliant

21. Dman91 thread starter macrumors member

I finally installed windows 8.1, I had some trouble with the partition table and formats, i had to use the widnows shell to run a few commands ( believe me I do'nt really know what I did but it worked) , I checked the boot option and its legacy not efi, but still that is not that important to me, what is important to me is that I have windows installed on a separate drive.

Thanks to everyone who helped here :)