Installing windows on an external hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Derkatwork, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Derkatwork macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

I purchased a computer that comes with OS X, and I can't run boot camp according to the seller. He said that I can however install windows by disconnecting the hard drive it came with and use a SATA compatible drive to install windows on that. From there reconnect the first drive and it should boot to either OS at launch. I'm a little unsure on this, but learning sometimes means stepping outside the box. Is there any guidance on this somewhere? And more importantly, I was going to use an old hard drive from a 2009 MacBook Pro as the windows drive after erasing it. How can I tell if it is SATA compatible?

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

what did you purchase? what MAC model?

3. Derkatwork thread starter macrumors 6502

Derkatwork

It's a late 2009 MacBook Pro 13 in. That is the hard drive that I am curious about. Is there a good way to tell if it is SATA compatible? The newer computer I bought is not an official mac product. The drive I am hoping to install windows on is the old laptop drive after erasing it.

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

it should have a SATA II drive in it to confirm take the bottom off the MBP and the label on the hard drive should be visible, it should say on it