Installing Windows on My Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by tony3dd, Oct 31, 2013.

1. tony3dd macrumors member

Can you Still buy Windows 7 Home Edition 64 bit new user anywhere? As a new user what version do I need, OEM, Builder, what? I would like to install it on my 2012 Mac Pro 12 core 3.06 machine just for gaming. If I did is there any chance of a virus effecting the Mac side?

2. Darthmnkyrpm macrumors member

I'm not quite sure if you can still buy it anywhere, but is there a reason you don't want to use Windows 8? I find it actually better than Windows 7 for gaming on my laptop. And I haven't never gotten a virus on my Windows partition. *knock on wood* I would just use Windows defender or something and don't click on all those silly advertisements and you should be fine. And don't use IE of course.

3. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

You should be able to locate an online retailer with some leftover stock. I believe Windows 7 OEM will be available for some time still, as it is still being preloaded on business machines.

4. tony3dd thread starter macrumors member

I did find Windows Premium Home Edition 64 bit OEM at Newegg. Is the OEM version upgradable? Is this version for a new user?

5. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

The main differences is the OEM license does not include transfer rights to another machine, and is not supposed to be used to upgrade previous versions of Windows. Other that that, it will install and activate with no problem just like the retail copy.

Technically you could install it on another machine. Legally you cannot.

6. Wardenski macrumors 6502

FYI, Home Premium will only see one physical CPU. This probably won't be an issue for games though. I have 8 core 08 but Windows only sees 4. I put bootcamp on its own SSD :cool:.