Installing Windows programs on Mac partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Nikolai01, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Nikolai01 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I want to install more Windows programs, but my Win partition is full (and I don't want to mess around with re-formatting/re-sizing). Does anyone know--can I install Windows programs on my Mac partition? Will that potentially cause any problems, either on the Mac or Windows side? I worry that the mac will treat the windows programs (with regards to permissions, other slight things) that might break them down the line...

I'm running Boot Camp v.3, Snow Leopard, WinXP, and the partitions are formatted MacOSExtended(Journaled) and FAT32.

Thanks!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You can't write to the Mac OS X partition from Windows without third party software like MacDrive.

As you suggest this kind of software can potentially lead to issues...

Can you move some things that are OK to be read only (like movies, or ISO images) to the Mac OS X partition (while booted to Mac OS?)

B

3. Young Spade macrumors 68020

^This.

Try moving files over to the Mac Partition that are read only. I have my iTunes library and all of my videos on the larger mac partition. This allows me to set up iTunes as a read only and listen to all of my music and stuff without clogging up the Win7 side.

If you want, you could always make a clone to an external and just start over and make the partition larger.