Installing Windows using Thunderbolt Display?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by keogh, Feb 12, 2013.

1. keogh macrumors member

keogh

Howdy Guys,

Ok I need Windows for Visual Studio ASP.NET guff, therefore I HAVE to have Windows on my Mac just for using that, and I have it all working perfectly on my iMac 27" (Mid 2010) and has been for years.

Well I've now bought a Mac Mini 2.3GHz i7 (gonna chuck 16GB RAM and a 512GB M4 SSD in when it arrives) and I plan on grabbing a Thunderbolt display in the next few days too (yeah I know the new ones will be about soon, but I can't wait).

My question is, I read that for Thunderbolt to work on Windows 7 you need Bootcamp 4.0 (I think), but eitherway, upon installing Windows, Bootcamp of course won't be there, so would the Windows installation process be visible via my Thunderbolt display?

I mean if Thunderbolt isn't recognised during installation, how will the machine know to pump out the display via that port? I assume I will just get a nice black screen when going through the installation process right?

Has anyone done the FULL install process through a Thunderbolt screen, via the Macs Thunderbolt port? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Any advice appreciated!

ta

2. jenzjen macrumors 68000

No TB but had a 27 ACD on a mini so should work the same - Windows will load, boot, etc just fine, you just won't see the display's "right" resolution until you install the drivers/windows support software that you get via the boot camp assistant.

3. keogh thread starter macrumors member

keogh

Ok cool, just curious cos I thought you NEEDED a certain version of bootcamp for the mac to even recognise the thunderbolt connection, let alone the display... If that makes sense?