Installing Windows via Bootcamp, don't have an OS X cd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Johalow, Dec 9, 2012.

1. Johalow macrumors newbie

I got a new Macbook Pro a few weeks ago, and I want to install Windows. I have a legal version of Windows 7, but Bootcamp says I also need a Mac OS X cd, which I did not get with my Mac. Does anyone know where I can buy a legal version, preferably from Apple, or if not, where and how I can do it with a downloaded version or something similar. I've used Virtualbox, but I really would prefer if I can install windows via bootcamp.

2. lightz39 macrumors regular

It should have a recovery partition with the osx data on it.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

You don't need an OSX disk to setup boot camp.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1899

It says you need a blank CD or a USB drive to move the drivers from OSX to the windows partition.

4. Johalow thread starter macrumors newbie

My OS is 10.8.2
    Is that Mountain Lion, or what? I haven't purchased Mountain Lion from the Mac Store, so I'm unsure. Sorry, I'm just new to Macs, some things are just a bit confusing.

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Wikipedia is your friend, but yes, mountain lion is 10.8. Apple gave a feline name to every 10.x version, say:

10.4 was Tiger
    10.5 was Leopard
    10.6 was Snow Leopard
    10.7 was Lion
    10.8 (the current version) is Mountain Lion.

You don't need an OS X DVD to install bootcamp, read the instructions from the bootcamp assistant as you go along, it's pretty much idiot proof. You'll be prompted to download the drivers for your machine onto a USB thumb drive at one point during setup, and you'll use that thumb drive once windows is done installing itself.

6. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Either way you dont need a OSX disk for bootcamp.
    They ask you to insert a blank USB or a disc so they can write the files to run Windows
    (like mouse controls, keyboard setup, etc)

Then they ask you to put the win7 disk for install.