Installing Windows via HD.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by AppleReviving!, Nov 5, 2010.

1. AppleReviving! macrumors newbie

My macbook has been successfully partitioned with os 10.4.11 and Windows Xp. however, my XP no longer works and completely crashed. I don't have a cd drive, and my external cddrive does not get read at bootup. :/

Anyways, i was wondering if it is possible to install Windows through the hard drive itself. I mount the iso onto the partitioned windows drive, but i am completely confused on what to do next. How do i get the hd to boot the mounted iso, instead of looking to load windows... My current Error states: invalid Boot.ini... Ntdetect failed.

Any help, questions, comments, inquiries are greatly appreciated.

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

XP like all genuine, modern Windows versions will not install unless you use an internal optical drive. There are methods to reduce the system and put it on a USB stick (google Bart-PE) but it is not genuine Windows.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B500 Safari/531.21.10)

There is a trick you could use in the thread on installing Windows without a Superdrive. I'm on my iPad so it's hard for me to find the link.

Install the ISO using VM software targeting a physical partition.then complete the install booted natively.

B