Installing Windows Vista 64bit

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by halfprep455, Apr 23, 2007.

1. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

I just got a copy of Vista Ultimate and I want to install it on my iMac via bootcamp. I just wonder if there are any drivers for 64bit Vista in Bootcamp. If not, where can I download them? Also, should 60GB, 2GB RAM be enough for Vista Ultimate?

2. nospamboz macrumors regular

AFAIK, the only way to run x64 Vista is using VMWare Fusion.

http://www.vmware.com/products/beta/fusion/

I run Vista Ultimate x64 in Fusion beta 3, and it works OK, at least with
    Classic Windows interface. VMWare are still working on DirectX 9. XP x64
    runs far better than Vista x64 under Fusion, though. You can download
    a free 120-day trial of XP x64 directly from Microsoft.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/facts/trial.mspx

Fusion beta 3 can run XP x32 off a Bootcamp partition. My guess is
    that when Bootcamp and Fusion are both out of beta, running Vista
    x64 in Bootcamp and VMWare-via-bootcamp-partition will be possible.

BTW, on my 2 GB C2D iMac, I run Vista Ultimate X64 in a VMWare
    virtual machine with a 40 GB virtual disk and 768 MB of Ram. Also, do
    look at the VMWare Fusion beta community forum, for tips and tricks,
    like how adding a file:

~/Library/Preferences/VMware Fusion/config

containing

# Try buffered disk
    aiomgr.buffered="TRUE"
    # Try multi-threaded GL
    mks.gl.multithreaded = "TRUE"

really speeds things up, at least in beta 3.

Good luck.

3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

The OP specifically mentioned only Boot Camp, no virtualization at all. As long as he has a Core 2 Duo (not the original Core Duo) iMac, he'll be fine, as far as INSTALLING is concerned.

As for drivers, you can get graphics drivers direct from the graphics chipset manufacturer. (Intel on the low-end 17", ATI/AMD on the high-end 17" and 20", nVidia on the 24".)

Not sure about the other drivers, though. No way you'll get the iSight, "Apple Keyboard" (getting the Eject key to work is the only pressing one on a desktop,) or IR sensor to work, though, since those are provided directly by Apple, for Apple-only hardware, and Apple isn't providing 64-bit drivers.

60 GB of hard drive space is plenty. I've got Vista Ultimate (only 32-bit, though,) Flight Sim X, and a couple other games on a 30 GB partition on my MacBook Pro. 2 GB of RAM is good. Even 1 GB is decent, but 2 GB is definitely better. (I have 1 GB dedicated in my Parallels and VMWare virtual machines, obviously I get the full 2 GB in Boot Camp.)

4. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Like ehurtley says, the iSight, Apple Keyboard don't have drivers of x64 yet, and saddest of all, neither does Airport.

As I only really use Vista at work - when I plug into the ethernet - the Airport isn't too much of an issue, but the lack of keyboard drivers is annoying.

I'm sure it'll all be rectified with Leopard, but I hope we'll see an update sooner....

5. bbplayer5 macrumors 68030

I run vista 64 on my mac pro flawlessly. I just had to install a sound driver, thats it.

6. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Somewhat a less complicated process than the iMac though - which is the desktop in question. The Mac Pro has no airport or iSight drivers to worry about, and I presume you're not using an Apple keyboard...

7. halfprep455 thread starter macrumors regular

halfprep455

Im just going to go with 32bit Vista Ultimate. I have to have the airport and isight drivers. I certinly hope apple releases the 64bit drivers soon. I have some software that needs 64bit Vista to run.

8. 75' forty macrumors newbie

bump a old thread.

have a macbook (2008) right before the next model came out, all black.

bought windows 7 64 bit. was about to start installing using bootcamp and read on instructions it wouldn't work, but read some people had. so will it work or do i need to go to the 32 bit, or do i have any options to allow the 64 bit.

specs:
    model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook4,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 4 GB
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB41.00C1.B00
    SMC Version (system): 1.31f0

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Your Mac is not supported for 64 bit http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1846?viewlocale=en_US, but in general you can just install and force BootCamp64.msi to load the drivers. You may have to modify your install disc using the so called "Jowie" method to get it to boot.

B

10. 75' forty macrumors newbie

could you explain a little more, i'm not that smart with computers.

and if i went with the newest osx would that fix anything?

i just don't see why it wouldn't work easily since my computer equals the late 2009 in everything but i have a 2.4 ghz and the 09s have 2.6 and 10.6 which i could easily upgrade to.

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Intel Macs use EFI not BIOS to boot. Windows 7 64 is the first Windows to support EFI. Unfortunately the older Macs, even though their processor etc.. are 64 bit capable, use an older version of EFI that is not supported by Windows 7 64 bit.

But, you can work around this, by copying and modifying your Windows 7 install CD to boot differently and then forcing the drivers to boot. (As you mentioned the next rev is basically the same hardware, but the firmware is different).

B