Installing windows w/o bootcamp

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trev, May 23, 2008.

1. trev macrumors 6502

I'm running tiger and I've found these instructions, will they work?

Back up your OS X partition.
    Create new HFS and NTFS partitions with Disk Utility (or use iPartition $$$ to preserve data).
    Insert Windows XP SP2 disc
    Reboot Mac, holding down Option.
    Boot from XP disc to install it on the NTFS partition.

I have a friend who has a leopard dvd, can I get the proper drivers from that (I'm using a mac pro tower).

can I create a new partition just by using disk utility and leave my existing one intact without modifying it?

also... do I have to backup my os X partition?

Thanks!!

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Why do you not want to use Boot Camp, and where did you find these directions?

The main reason for Boot Camp is for the EFI chip set that the Mac uses instead of the normal PC BIOS or Open Firmware, as well as the drivers it helps to install. Windows doesn't have support for EFI, other than possibly the Media Center Edition, or Vista. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=173183

Its always best to backup your OS X partition before doing anything that will be manipulate the disk, and I still believe the Disk Utility doesn't have the ability to resize without losing the data.

3. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

the reason I want to do this without boot camp is because I'm running tiger - boot camp doesn't run on tiger anymore. So I feel left out in the cold (thanks apple). So how do I do this?

4. merl1n macrumors 65816

merl1n

If you are not doing gaming, you could run Windows as a Virtual Machine (if you have an Intel based mac) by using Parallels or VMWare's Fusion. You would not need another partition on your disk as the virtual machine is contained in a file. You can download both as demos to try it and see which one your prefer.

I myself use Parallels and run two Virtual Machines, Windows XP and Solaris and they both run great.

5. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

Well I am not sure it will work but backup your stuff and give it a shot. Worst that happens you reinstall tiger

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No, it will not work. The Mac GPT partitioning scheme is incompatible with Windows (Windows can't be booted from it, regardless whether a partition is formatted to NTFS or FAT32), so Bootcamp has to write a new partition map that 'fakes' the Windows MBR partition scheme. That and the Windows drivers for the Apple hardware is what Bootcamp is all about.

7. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

For the love of god just use Boot Camp it is free for christs sake.

8. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Like he said, he's on Tiger so he does not have Boot Camp anymore due to the release of Leopard, and most likely he doesn't have Leopard because of some software he needs to run that messes up in Leopard (just guessing here). Anyway, OP, there is not a way to do this on your Mac Pro due to the differences between Apple's systems and conventional PCs. If you have a friend with a Mac Pro and Leopard, you could use another hard drive for windows and have him format and install for you, then you could take the drive and put it in your Mac Pro and install drivers from a leopard disk there, but other than that, there really isn't a way to do it.

9. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Bootcamp works fine on Tiger.

Just set your system clock back before October 1st, 2007.

Create your Windows partition using Bootcamp.

Then set your clock to the current date/time.

Another option is using WinClone which runs on Mac OS X (Tiger and Leopard). Use WinClone to create your Windows partition. Note, WinClone will only create a NTFS partition.

10. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

how come my friend is still able to run boot camp beta with win xp on her tiger macbook..

11. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Running and installing are not the same.

Once installed and up and running, a Bootcamp partition will continue to operate just fine.

However, to install a new Bootcamp partition using Tiger, you will need to adjust the date as I mentioned above.

12. Siron macrumors 6502

Siron

You don't need BC to install Windows (with Leopard anyway). It's only an app that creates the partition (which you can do with Disk Utility).
    I installed Vista with no problems by holding down the C key on reboot with the Windows installer disk in the drive. Admittedly I was installing on a second drive that the Vista installer formatted for me.
    The only issue is that Vista will not show up in System Preferences for you to reboot to, so you have to go the reboot with Option key held.
    Alan

13. toto2007 macrumors newbie

can't use bootcamp

Hi,
    i need to create a pc boot partition, and i can't use BC as i already have some partitions on my internal HD.
    I've tried to format one partition to fat, but when i boot from the xp installation disk, it sees the whole disk as one volume, no partitions at all.

Any suggetion please?

In fact, i'd prefer to have windoze xp on an external usb hd, but i understand it won't work.

Thanks.

14. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

toto2007, don't highjack threads. If you have a question, start your own, not only will you find this more effective, but it's the proper etiquette.

15. mambajoe macrumors newbie

The hard way

what is it with god and chris? :D

He might not like easy solutions.

16. toto2007 macrumors newbie

Sorry but i don't understand, the topic is "Installing windows w/o bootcamp", that's exactly why i'm asking, how to install windoze w/o bc!
    what exactly is your point?!

thanks.

17. ankit.minglani macrumors newbie

I want to Triple Boot my Macbook . !! NEED HELP !!

I re-formated my macbook in a hope to triple boot it with Mac OS 10.5 ie leopard , Ubuntu Linux and Windows XP. so after lots of working i figured it out that bootcamp can only be used to create one partition. these are a few steps i followed :

1. i booted my macbook with Mac OSX cd .. used the disk utility to choose 4 partition scheme as : one for leopard(mac format).. one for windows xp( MS dos fat format).. one for ubuntu(mac format) .. one for ubuntu swap area(mac format).

2. installed leopard in the respective drive for it ..

3(PROBLEM!!). booted the macbook with windows XP cd. it went fine .. i formated the same partition for ntfs for windows.. when all the file copying is done. the system asks for a reboot. so when i reboot it .. there is a error as :windows boot> some .dll file missing in system 32 folder..

i error disappears when i partition the drive using bootcamp. but since i cannot use bootcamp to tripleboot my macbook. is there a another way out?

4.(PROBLEM!!) i installed ubuntu also ver 9.10 in the respective drive with ext4 as file format along with the swap space. i reboot the system after installation. the grub loads .. showing ubuntu .. the screen just blacks out after i press "ENTER" to it ..

is there a solution? can the grub be creating a problem to boot linux?

i have been trying to work this out for quite a while. it would be so greatful of anyone of you to help :)

May you be blessed.. Keep smiling :)