Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

calrockx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
I've got a new MacBook Pro and I have the hard drive partitioned into three sections - Mac HD, Windows, and my personal data. So obviously the "Windows" partition is reserved for installing and running Windows. I thought I had created this particular partition with Boot Camp, but maybe not, I forget.

I thought this because I vaguely remember setting it up in Boot Camp, but deciding to do the actual Windows install later. Well later came today and when I fired up Boot Camp it gives me the error "The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition."

So my question is...what do I need to do to keep the hard drive in these three partitions and install Windows to one of them? I really don't want to start over/reinstall OSX, etc. Do I have to install Windows through Boot Camp?

charlesbronsen

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2008
Toronto, Ont
Im sure you have to install windows through bootcamp as its the only way your mac will boot from the windows cd.... could be wrong though. Sorry, but why would you want to have 3 partitions? An external HD is could be a good option, no?

calrockx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 22, 2008
Im sure you have to install windows through bootcamp as its the only way your mac will boot from the windows cd.... could be wrong though. Sorry, but why would you want to have 3 partitions? An external HD is could be a good option, no?

maybe, but i'm pretty happy with this setup and don't think i should have to compromise.

i mean, i get that i may have to, but don't think i should, ya know.
just hoping there's a way to make this work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.