Installing Windows with Ext. Drive, error

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by procrastinatnpr, Jul 3, 2010.

1. procrastinatnpr macrumors newbie

So, for some reason, I made the grave mistake of deleting my windows partition a few months back and am now in need of one again.

After wrestling with my Macbook Pro a bit I realized that the internal dvd drive does not work. It just keeps spitting everything out. Rather than paying $200+ to replace the DVD drive, I decided to try an external firewire DVD drive, since many people online seem to have had success with that.

However, whenever I try to boot up the Windows installation disc (it's a legit copy), I get a black screen with white text saying there is no boot device, and to insert a boot device then press any key.

Any ideas please? :(

2. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

3. procrastinatnpr thread starter macrumors newbie

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There is a free trial you can use, or you may be able to use Virtualbox which is free.

With Fusion at least there are some ways to trick it to use your Boot Camp partition to install to so you can boot from that once the install is done.

B

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

how odd, that it wont recognise the boot device.

how are you booting from the DVD? do you hold down the "C" key, press :eek:ption: or another method?

have you already created a partition for the bootcamp installation? if not then it mightnt see the hard drive at all.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

7. procrastinatnpr thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll look into the Fusion thing to see if I can get it to install on my partition. The partition is definitely there and waiting to be used, just that my computer does not want to recognize the DVD when I boot up. It really wants the Windows disc to be in the internal drive I think.

To boot from the external drive I had to use rEFIt, otherwise my computer would not recognize the external drive until after Mac OSX booted up. Now it recognizes it and when I select the Windows CD as a boot option, the screen goes black, then I get that screen every time. And I did create a bootcamp partition. This is my 4th or 5th time trying to remove the partition and recreate it to make sure that nothing was wrong with the partition.

As for setting my default boot device, I haven't done that yet. When I get the error screen I shut down and then when the computer starts up again I hold Option and reselect OS X. After that, every reset it begins to use OS X again.

Thank you guys for the responses! Hopefully there is a solution to be found somewhere.

8. procrastinatnpr thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm not sure how I would go about doing this. Do you know of any place that explains how to do this? I downloaded the trial and I'm trying to figure it out right now.

Thanks!

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I've seen HOWTOs before, but never remember to save the link. I am not finding it yet.

B