Installing windows without switching back

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by raymanrox1, Apr 7, 2011.

1. raymanrox1 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I unfortunately am unable to press the option key while starting up as its locked and I was wondering whether theres anyway of allowing the disk to be ejected (after the windows installation) from windows without having to switch back to mac?

2. simsaladimbamba

Go into Windows Explorer and right click on the disk (if you mean the CD or DVD) and select "EJECT".
    Btw, the OPTION key is not used to eject optical media from the ODD, the EJECT key on the top right of the keyboard is used for that.

3. raymanrox1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Perhaps I need to be a tad bit clearer.Uhh
    -40% of the time I go into a fresh install of windows,I cannot eject(To install mac drivers
    -The option key USED to allow me to eject first before i went into windows
    -I'll most probably be unable to go back to mac after installation of windows cuz of the option key being unable to work

4. simsaladimbamba

Okay. Maybe I am too daft to fully understand you.

Can't you right click on the ODD icon in Windows Explorer?
    [​IMG]

Are both Option keys not working? Have your tried another external USB keyboard? Even a Windows keyboard will work.
    And to be absolutely sure, and so I understand correctly, as this is new to me, you were able to eject any optical media inside the ODD by just pressing the OPTION key during the boot process into Windows (after you restarted the Mac and chose to boot Windows)?

If you have successfully installed the Windows drivers from the Mac OS X DVD, then you can use the Boot Camp Utility in the Task Bar to restart into Mac OS X.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Another reason Alt/Option may be "locked" is that you may have set up firmware password protection. http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1352 (It actually shows up as a lock).

If so, turn it off.

B

6. raymanrox1 thread starter macrumors newbie

What i meant is that I used to start with the option key and thereafter pressing the eject button.(When they show the different drivers)The option keys do work but they are locked.(Firmware password locked)Thats why I'm asking whether theres an alternative way to get the disk to eject apart from attempting to eject from Windows Explorer. If there is I might be able to prevent screwing up my mac incase I cant install the drivers.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

As I suspected. Turn the firmware password protection off while you are installing Windows. If you don't have the password, you probably shouldn't be installing Windows on it.

B

8. raymanrox1 thread starter macrumors newbie

D: C'mon. Its just a sad way of my school to prevent us from getting admin passwords. I already have my own admin password just that now the damned firmware passwords getting in the way.We are allowed to install it btw,password's just an extra protection

9. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Instead of holding option, hold the mouse button down while you power on. That force ejects any disk.