Installing Windows XP OEM SP3

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Saladsamurai, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Saladsamurai macrumors regular

So having weighed all options, I am deciding to go with Win XP since my MBP is a late 2006 model and will not be officially supported for Win7. I have already tried Win7 and it is giving me problems.

I know all about the OEM vs Retail EULAs. That being said, I just have 2 final questions:

1) Does Win XP Home come in a 64 bit version?

2) Will this version of Win XP Home (OEM) SP3 work with my Late 2006 MBP if installed via BootCamp?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116511

Thanks!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Not that I have ever seen. Vista was the first Home version to support 64 bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_editions#Windows_XP_64-Bit_Edition

FWIW I have never "enjoyed" XP Pro 64 bit. It's compatibility with 32 bit apps is just lousy, and they run very poorly. A coworker simply quite running Office 2003 (the only version supported at work) on it 'cause it would take minutes to do some things that ran in seconds on his 32 bit laptop. If you are running only 64 bit apps, it's fine.

My experience with Vista 64 and Windows 7 64 has been far better, so if you really want 64 bit. Consider Vista, otherwise just stick with 32 bit.

It's pretty sure that the version you linked to is 32 bit and will work just fine, despite the licensing issues.

B

3. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

That's very helpful as I mainly use Office 2003 (I'm old school;) )

So here's one more (maybe 2) question(s):

Since it's OEM, let's say that I somehow lost my entire hard drive, OSes and all. Is it correct to say that under the EULA I would not technically be able to reinstall XP? Follow up question: Practically speaking, would I actually be able to reinstall it with no problems? (ie, the MS police would not come breaking down my door)

4. jpbl68 macrumors member

I can't answer that last question but last time I checked an OEM copy of XP cost around £30 and a full license cost around £100. You'd have to be very careless with your hard drive to make it worth your while buying a full license.

5. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

Well, what about if I installed XP via BootCamp and then decided that I would like to try it in VM instead? Would I have an issue uninstalling and reinstalling it?

6. jpbl68 macrumors member

I installed an OEM copy of XP sp2 using Boot Camp, deleted the partition and then installed that same copy of XP on Virtualbox (in Leopard). I've since deleted Vitrualbox and re-installed the same OEM copy of XP in Boot Camp. I've not had any problems activating Windows. You should be fine doing the same thing in VM.

edit- Just read that back and it was a little confusing.

No, I don't think there would be a problem. However, I've never used VM. But I'd be very surprised if it caused any problems.

7. CylonGlitch macrumors 68030

CylonGlitch

Save yourself some trouble and don't bother with the XP-64bit version. It was never really supported and doesn't work correct with all 32bit apps. :( I wouldn't recommend any 64 bit version earlier then Windows 7.

8. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The MS police won't come knocking ever, the most they would do is deny you an activation code after you call them, but I have never heard of that happening. Most of the time, even if it makes you call in, you just have to deal with an automated system

Reinstall OEM on the same hardware is just fine. You're just not supposed to install it on a new PC. "The same" is based on an algorithm that looks at the CPU, GPU, network interfaces, HDD, etc... and allows for some changes. So, even if your HDD failed it would be seen as the same with a new HDD, it would activate online automatically.

I know this from experience, I upgraded my HDD in the MB from 250 GB to 500 GB and restored my Winclone image of Vista Business 32 OEM, and activated it online just fine.

I also used the same license in VMWare Fusion (from the Boot Camp partition) just fine. I have since upgraded it Win 7 Pro 32 on that same machine

B