Installing Windows XP on a Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mklock, Jul 20, 2009.

1. mklock macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

I am about to install Windows XP on my mac (via bootcamp). I have a question.
    I currently don't use any antivirus programms on my mac. Will I have to install one while running it in the Windows XP mode?

Is there anyother possibility of having XP on my mac, other than bootcamp?

-mklock

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, you will need AV for your Windows just like a normal Windows PC

You can run virtualized with Fusion, Parallels or Virtual Box without Boot Camp

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Just install one on the Windows side of things. It's nice to have one on your mac anyway, just in case you email things out..

4. MaTUC macrumors regular

You need to install an antivirus on the Windows side.... it's like having a PC on your desk ..

You could try Parallels , VirtualBox or VMWare... but all of this are Virtual Machines (Run Windows while running OS X, Antivirus also needed here), BootCamp runs Windows natively ;)

5. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

You won't need any anti-virus protection on Mac OS X, although you'll need the anti-virus on Windows XP like you would on any other PC. As for other solutions, yes, parallels and vmware.

6. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

I installed Fusion VMWare and than installed WinXP after that. This way I go from the Mac to Windows without rebooting. Now if you are a gamer you want to reboot into Windows. On the Windows side you want to install all the Virus software and such just like a regular Windows machine...

7. otoc macrumors newbie

true, but if you use email and forward to friends with PCs then it is a courtesy not to be typhoid mary forwarding trojans and viruses to those whom can be affected.

clamxav is free and can monitor email attachment folders.

As time goes on, the Mac will be a target and to say no protection is needed until the first outbreak is exactly what PC users are waiting for. My opinion.