Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

anand.rohira

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
guys, I have a original DVD for windows XP.
now I want to install (bootcamp) it on MBA13, without buying the mac drive for 780HKD (100 usd) since I wont be using it at all !!

what are the other way, I can install windows XP to my MBA with the DVD drive ?

can I use my friends iMAC desktop to remote install windows XP on my MBA ?

any suggestion would be highly appreciated.

Psilocybin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
Ontario, Canada
now I want to install (bootcamp) it on MBA13, without buying the mac drive for 780HKD (100 usd) since I wont be using it at all !!

No you can't use remote disk, what you can do is go buy a SuperDrive and install windows xp than return it

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Note that any external DVD drive will work. You aren't limited to Apple's Superdrive. Other products may be cheaper.

One possible solution may be to create a Windows XP Boot Camp partition in a different Mac with a DVD drive and then using Winclone 2.2 to clone it onto your MacBook Air (Winclone can be downloaded from CNet Download). Just use Boot Camp Assistant to create the partition, and then copy over your Winclone backup and expand it onto the Boot Camp partition.

Note that technically, the new MacBook Air supports only Windows 7 in Boot Camp. Finding proper drivers may be difficult, so I'd suggest purchasing a Windows 7 DVD if you want to be sure everything will work.

anand.rohira

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
are you sure abt windows 7 thing ?

Note that any external DVD drive will work. You aren't limited to Apple's Superdrive. Other products may be cheaper.

One possible solution may be to create a Windows XP Boot Camp partition in a different Mac with a DVD drive and then using Winclone 2.2 to clone it onto your MacBook Air (Winclone can be downloaded from CNet Download). Just use Boot Camp Assistant to create the partition, and then copy over your Winclone backup and expand it onto the Boot Camp partition.

Note that technically, the new MacBook Air supports only Windows 7 in Boot Camp. Finding proper drivers may be difficult, so I'd suggest purchasing a Windows 7 DVD if you want to be sure everything will work.

damm !! thats a news to me !!
are you very sure, new MBA comes only with drivers in botcamp to support windows 7 and not windows XP !!
:S
that sucks !!

anand.rohira

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
stumped !!

Why would you do that?

Seems a shame.

I want to do that, coz a lot of people besides me will be using my laptop, who are not so computer savvy !!

so they will be more comfortable when I give them my mac with windows running !!
if I give them mac OS , they will get stumped !!
:)

anand.rohira

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
nice idea !!

No you can't use remote disk, what you can do is go buy a SuperDrive and install windows xp than return it

that is a very very good idea !!
but does anyone know abt the return policy for SuperDrive in HongKong ?

RRmalvado

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2010

Windows XP never came in a DVD format, so on that note it is not original.

You can extract the Bootcamp MSI and install the drivers manually. Seems to work just fine after that.

anand.rohira

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2011
CD, not a DVD.

Windows XP never came in a DVD format, so on that note it is not original.

You can extract the Bootcamp MSI and install the drivers manually. Seems to work just fine after that.

ooops !! sorry ! its CD and not a DVD.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.