Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kanshira

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
hi, i'm having trouble installing windows onto my bootcamp partition. When the mbp bootsup, it logs into the bootcamp partition and tries to load up the windows boot disk but ends up on a message something like " boot disk undeteced - insert boot disk and press any key"
I insert my windows xp CD press a key and nothing - just pauses on that screen had to do a reboot through holding the pwr button.
My windows cd is a full install, service pack 2 and 32 bit, though it is a backup. Would that be the reason why it doesnt work?

thanks for the help.

kanshira

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
Probably because you didn't select FAT or NTFS when you were prompted at the installation.

where do you select fat32/ntfs? is it during the bootcamp partitioning?

backup, as in copied/burnt disk

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
Is that CD bootable? Have you tried booting it in a different computer?

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
I don't agree since all my Windows CDs are burned disks and work. It has to be a burned BOOTABLE cd. Not a drag and drop backup. Thats why I asked the OP if he has tried it in a different machine.

toiletooth

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2008
sometimes.

sometimes i high ass my copy and burn a dmg then wonder what's wrong.
so-i'd check that. also, bootcamp is funny. there is definately some silly parts.
format as fat in osx.
reformat as either fat (writable in osx) or NTFS(non writable within osx).
install and really pay attention to whether or not you're supposed to press a key or let it ride.
tt.

fireloss

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2007
USA
During installation (with that blue background) you should see a page when you are asked to choose whether to Quick format or format it as NTFS/FAT, or leave it unchanged. Leaving it unchanged will make the partition unbootable. I think that's the problem with your installation.

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
I agree - it is probably not a Bootable version, and also I think the OP has possibly not selected the correct file format for the partition as well.

kanshira

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 27, 2007
I agree - it is probably not a Bootable version, and also I think the OP has possibly not selected the correct file format for the partition as well.

thanks pplz... got windows workin ^^ woot! ... yehh didnt change partition during installation. had to do a few hard resets n stuff. hope that doesnt stuff up my precious mbp , but its all good now. If i want to scan the windows partition for errors I would have to do this in windows aye?

btw, i've got another question - though has nothing to do with thread topic. I have connected another monitor to my mbp and at times want to turn it off without pulling out the dvi plug/cable. is this possible?

thx in advance

Komiksulo

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2008
Ontario
btw, i've got another question - though has nothing to do with thread topic. I have connected another monitor to my mbp and at times want to turn it off without pulling out the dvi plug/cable. is this possible?
Turn the monitor off or turn the MB Pro's screen off? On my setup, I just turn the external monitor off at its power switch. I don't actually turn the MB Pro's display off; i just turn the display backlight off using the F1 key.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.