Installing Windows XP Pro / SP2 walkthu?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kirkbross, Feb 11, 2008.

1. kirkbross macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Anyone know of a walkthrough thread for installing Windows on a Mac Pro? I'll be using a Raptor for Windows and want to know how to format the drive and generally the best way to go about loading Windows.

2. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

how do you want to install it? like bootcamp, parallels?

3. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

That's part of the problem -- I don't understand all those options: bootcamp, parallels, fusion something or other... and why someone would choose one over the other.

Basically I want Windows XP Pro SP2 to run native (or fast-as-possible) on a separate drive for basic Windows apps and maybe Pro Tools if Digidesign doesn't get on the Leopard bandwagon soon. I will have an new Mac Pro w/8800GT soon, but I don't care about video performance per se.

4. sourcery macrumors newbie

Using Bootcamp, you have to shutdown one OS in order to boot and use the other.

Using either of Parallels or VMWare, you can use apps hosted on both OSes at the same time, usually without having to reboot either OS (well, both occasionally require rebooting for other reasons, but you won't have to reboot just to switch from one OS to the other.)

Using Parallels, you can even run Windows applications so that their window resides on the MacOS desktop.

5. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

I'm not concerned about having to reboot nor being able to run Windows apps while booted in OS X. Is any of the above methods the most reliable. I want Windows to run as fast and as stable as possible. Also, are the Parallels and VMWare third party software? (I don't really care about the cost, just stability and speed so I'll buy whatever is necessary).

6. GotPro macrumors 6502

I use VMWARE and couldn't be happier.

You can run it in a window (or full screen) alongside your Mac OSX apps... (which I do for my Real Estate Software only)... and it's actually FASTER than running it "natively" through BootCamp (except for Video Games / Video Card Uses)...

I believe it was PC World that benchmarked it (not sure of the link) and found that they got a better PCBENCH mark in VMWARE than "natively".

7. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Sorry, but I don't know what you are talking about. It will run fastest through bootcamp, as Windows will utilize all hardware natively. The bootcamp route is free where virtualization is not.

8. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

In that case, you will want to use Boot Camp.

The Boot Camp Assistant in the Utilities folder (under Applications) will walk you through the process of selecting the drive and burning a driver CD.

You then put in the Windows install CD and reboot. The Mac will boot off the Windows CD and you install Windows normally. Once Windows is installed, you insert the driver CD you made with Boot Camp Assistant and it installs all the drivers. You can then run Windows Update to get all the other fixes and patches.

To boot back into OS X from Windows, there is a little Boot Camp icon in the Windows system tray on the right side. To boot back into Windows from OS X, just select the Windows drive/partition as your Startup Disk.

9. webgoat macrumors 6502a

webgoat

this is all correct accept the drivers are contained on the leopard dvd, so after installing windows boot into windows and insert the leopard dvd to install drivers

10. kirkbross thread starter macrumors 6502a

kirkbross

Awesome. Precisely the info I was looking for. It seems pretty easy.

11. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Fantastic, thanks for that.

I'm going to be installing XP(gag!) later, solely to have a crack at Team Fortress 2.