Installing Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Borja1055, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Borja1055 macrumors regular

I am a student at the University of Miami and i need to run MatLab on my computer. They have the MatLab software available to me but only for Windows. They told me that they can install Windows for me but its going to take a week. IM NOT WILLING TO GIVE MY MACBOOK UP FOR A WEEK!!!! Specially becaus ei need it for school(and to browse this site lol). So i was wondering how much it would cost me$$$ to install Windows, is it available for free download? Is it complicated to Install? and if it simple enough can somebody give me a simple step by step?
    Thanks in Advance

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. Covart Guest

First you'll need Windows 7.

Then you'll need to use Bootcamp and make a partition on your harddrive. Once done, install Windows.

Link: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3986

Or, you could buy a program like VMFusion, that emulates Windows and does not require you to reboot to get to Windows or create a partition.

Depends on what you want to do.

4. Borja1055 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks alot

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

NOTE: MATLAB for Students is only $99. So if that is all you need Windows for, it would be cheaper to buy MATLAB Student for Mac than to buy Windows (unless you get a Student deal) and Parallels/VMWare...

Personally I prefer MATLAB on the Mac, but that's just me.

B

6. sup3r1or macrumors regular

Or there is a way to get windows for free , lol Sorry I know we do not encourage people to any illegal activities. Make sure u have ur mac osx install dvd since it contains all the drivers u will need.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

How's that coming? The disc still in transit. ;)

If you are willing to rearm every 30 days and reinstall every 120 days you can get and use Windows 7 for free.

Get the official legal ISO: http://techpp.com/2009/11/11/download-windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links/

Install w/o a product key and rearm every 30 days: http://lifehacker.com/5341666/run-windows-7-for-120-days-without-activation

B

8. Borja1055 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! Would this work if I can get a legit Product Key from UM?

Which one of the list should i download?

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If the editions match sure. (If you install Pro and they give you Home Premium it won't). Many folks in the forum have used those official ISOs when their student copy could not install as it was an EXE or otherwise not bootable on the Mac. Then they just apply the key the school gave them.

Most likely your school is using Pro, so stick with that.

If all you will be doing is "light/introductory" MATLAB work, you may just wish to use the free VirtualBox instead of Boot Camp or VMWare.

B

10. Borja1055 thread starter macrumors regular

ok so the school has a free downloads for Windows 7 Ultimate, which one should i download, 32 bit or 64 bit?

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member