Installing Windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Zohra, May 7, 2011.

1. Zohra macrumors newbie

Ok, so I am hoping to install a copy of Windows 7 Professional on my Mac Book Pro, via Boot Camp. I got my copy through my school but the problem is that it was downloaded....so the file is a .exe and I don't know how to open it so I can have it ready when I set up Boot Camp.
    Any suggestions?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. Zohra thread starter macrumors newbie

And then?

Ok I am downloading it right now. After, I should just begin the Boot Camp set up and when it asks for the disc I select that iso file instead?
    Sorry, I'm a bit new to this. :p

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You'll need a blank DVD to burn the ISO to. Then follow the normal Boot Camp instructions which include booting from that DVD.

I would suggest you use Burn OS X to burn the ISO image.

B

5. Zohra thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome. Thanks for the help. :)

Will I have to wipe my current mac HD to partition part of it for the Windows half? I haven't got a problem backing my mac side up, my only question is can I use Time Machine to get my mac side back to the way it was? I currently have an external as my Time Machine drive and I know I'm using under half of my current 500GB drive's space.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Definitely have a back up.

However, Boot Camp Assistant is a non-destructive partition tool, so unless anything goes horribly wrong you should not have to resort to your backup.

B

7. Zohra thread starter macrumors newbie

8. nomansohail macrumors newbie

i just downloaded an iso but my problem is that i have a macbook air the late 2010 edition soo is there a way i could put that on the external drive and install it from there ?? any help would be greatly appreciated :)

without me having to invest in an optical drive

9. Quad5Ny macrumors 6502a

Quad5Ny

Yes, you should be able to just extract the files from the ISO to the root of a FAT32 or NTFS partition and then mark the partition as Active.

I'm not sure how you mark a partition as active in OS X. So you would have to get that info from someone else.

After you have all that done, just choose your USB drive as what you want to boot from and go through the Windows Setup.