Installing Windows

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by NJFP, Jul 27, 2015.

1. NJFP macrumors 6502

My dilemma is I need a full install Windows 7 for my 2008 MacBookPro's Bootcamp to install Windows. Win 8 won't work, it says Win 7 ONLY.

Question.... I have an external drive. How do I install Windows onto it, and will Win 8 work? I need Windows for two lousy programs that I have otherwise I wouldn't bother. Oh yea, I'm gonna need a walk thru!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Oh. Almost forgot. I have Parallels installed and have Vista on it. My one program will NOT run in a VPN. I've been online with tech support for that program and they say no to the VPN, so that option is out.

2. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

What are the programs that aren't working?

Have you tried Macports/WINE? PlayOnMac?

Where does a Virtual Private Network come into play in all of this?

IF you have a Windows disc, boot to disc, and point the Windows Installer at the external drive you have plugged in(I can go into detail if this is the case)

3. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

You can't install Windows on an external disc with the Mac you have. You need to use the internal hard drive.

4. Kissmyne macrumors 6502

Kissmyne

What is the limitation on this model preventing this from being done the typical way?

FYI you can install Windows to an external volume using a Virtual Machine even if there is a Startup Disk Manager issue/limitation

5. NJFP thread starter macrumors 6502

2008 MBP. I installed a 512 SSD, and then attempted to reload my Vista via Bootcamp. Got the message that I can only use Win 7 on this machine now.

As to the VPN, my bad! I meant Virtual Machine. And it's only one program that I use to tune and calibrate the computer on my motorcycle. They do not support Mac, only Windows.

6. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

It's a problem with both Windows and Apple's hybrid EFI/master boot record implementation on models released prior to the Haswell/4th generation Intel Core i3/5/7 CPUs.

Also, I am aware that you can install a virtual version of Windows wherever you want. The OP was specifically talking about Boot Camp, where installation on an external drive is not possible on his machine.