Installing Windows7 on 2011 iMac 27" problem

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bpeeps, May 30, 2011.

1. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

I've been trying to install x64 Win7 on my new iMac for the better portion of today. The install works perfectly on my '08 MBP. The issue I'm having is the install goes well, and then after it reboots, I get a black screen with a blinking cursor that just sits there and does nothing.

There was mention of this happening in 09 and 10 iMacs, but I haven't found any current support documention (Apple's support forums are a mess!)

I've tried this display driver file deletion guide, but I don't have that driver it references. I've also tried the Official Apple Guide and I've had no luck there either, the guide seems old and outdated as well.

What am I doing wrong here?

2. KasperH macrumors regular

KasperH

3. bpeeps thread starter macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Thanks for that link! I am going to try this out in a bit. I really hope this isn't an issue where I have to buy a newer copy or something.

4. 5piN macrumors member

I used a slip-streamed SP1 image and it installed with no issues....

5. KasperH macrumors regular

KasperH

Dont' worry, the slipstream version will be identical to a new original media.
    And another plus, is that you wont spend as much time patching after you (hopefully) complete the install.

It's even possible to manually inject your graphicsdriver to these slipstreamed medias....it's a more complicated procedure but doable if SP1 doesn't solve your issue......it could be nessesary to manually add Intel's own drivers for the Z68 chipset or maybe the AMD 6970m graphics chipset. But give it a shot...im' sure it's possible.

I haven't recieved my own iMac yet...it's in "Barking UK" according to UPS and will arrive monday. So i can't test myself. Are you using bootcamp, or a completely clean disk and only running windows?

EDIT: just saw 5piN's had success with SP1...so hopefully you will aswell.

6. bpeeps thread starter macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Followed the steps in that link and Windows 7 finally installed! Woo, thanks for the help!

7. Dr Strangelove macrumors regular

Great advice, will try this when my mac arrives next week