Installing Windows7

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Avicenna, Sep 2, 2009.

1. Avicenna macrumors member

I don't have a cd with which I can burn the Win7 .iso. A couple of days ago, i installed SnowLeopard by creating a partition of 8 GB on my hard-drive, and restoring .dmg on that partition. It worked flawlessly. Now I thought maybe I could do that same thing with my Win7 .iso. So I created a partition, restored the image onto that partition, everything went fine. Now when i boot and hold alt, that partition doesn't show up. Can you guys help? Is this even possible?

Thanks

PS- I tried the startup utility as well, no luck...

2. dborja macrumors 6502a

If I understand what you did correctly, that won't work. The Win partition that you created doesn't yet have the "boot sector" set up. You'll have to burn the .iso file onto a DVD (using software such as "Active@ ISO Burner") and boot from that DVD then install to the partition.

3. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

You have to install Windows by booting off an installation volume, either a DVD or flash drive. You probably restored the iso to a HFS+ volume, which absolutely will not work.

4. poppero macrumors member

you need to restore the image on an external HD and use it to boot then start the installation of Win7 on your partition.