Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orbitalpunk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Hi guys. Has anyone been successful in installing xp on there mac pro. If so, what exact version. I've tried twice and ive gotten errors both times. I wonder if its because of the version of XP im using. I have xp pro student upgrade with sp1. so i slipstreamed sp2 into and made a new disc. the first time without sp2 i got the blue screen of death when setup started. the second time before setup started a message appeared saying my device configuration it not right. also this is done with out boot camp. Im just boot from the cd and install on a separate hard drive. and ive tried in slot 1 and slot 1.

thanks for any advice.
I use maya and maya is not UB so its very slow. not really usable.
Thanks again!

flashzoom

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2006
I did

orbitalpunk said:
Hi guys. Has anyone been successful in installing xp on there mac pro. If so, what exact version. I've tried twice and ive gotten errors both times. I wonder if its because of the version of XP im using. I have xp pro student upgrade with sp1. so i slipstreamed sp2 into and made a new disc. the first time without sp2 i got the blue screen of death when setup started. the second time before setup started a message appeared saying my device configuration it not right. also this is done with out boot camp. Im just boot from the cd and install on a separate hard drive. and ive tried in slot 1 and slot 1.

thanks for any advice.
I use maya and maya is not UB so its very slow. not really usable.
Thanks again!

I did install the WinXP pro on one of the MBP.
everything seem to be ok. I didn't fully tested it tho. Only tested for about 2 days.
I did the install with Bootcamp, not sure if the system will work correctly without the bookcamp. Since MBP doesn't have a BIOS on it.
But I am sure you can't install it with XP PRO sp1. It requires to have the Win XP Pro SP2. and you can't jsut upgrade to sp2. you need to have the actual xp pro sp2 version.
hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.