Installing Windoze on Mac for AutoCAD

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Bl0ckHe1d, Oct 22, 2011.

1. Bl0ckHe1d macrumors 6502

Bl0ckHe1d

Forgive me if I sound naive (or more a newbie :rolleyes:) but I have yet to purchase a new computer and currently split between getting an iMAc or a high spec'ed PC.

Now recently discovered that you can dual boot iOS and Windoze on an iMac so does this therefore means that I can run my windoze version of AutoCAD on the iMAC?

If so - what would be the best method to do so, using boot camp or virtual box?

Many thanks and appreciate any answers :)

2. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Let's just call it win 7 and forget the win doze yack. Nothing wrong with running whatever os you want on your machine.

Yes when you run via bootcamp mac os x is completely out of the picture and you are running native on your machine. Newer machines run best 64 bit on win 7 but there are ways to get older operating systems up under bootcamp.

If the version of Autocad runs fine on a generic 64 bit win 7 it should be peachy or even better on a nice intel mac but check which graphic card also you want to have. When you run native under bootcamp you have win 7 interfacing with graphics driver and graphics display directly.

Under virtual box the graphics etc go thru virtualization and performance is impact by running in a virtualized environment. It may be fine depending on how intensive your workload is or is not.