Installing WordPress

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by JavaWizKid, Feb 13, 2009.

1. JavaWizKid macrumors 6502a

When installing WordPress onto my website, where do I install it as in what folder? I want the WordPress blogging software to take affect on my homepage which is located at the root of my hosted directories, so do I install it there or in a separate folder like "wordpress"?
    Thanks

2. geekindisguise macrumors 6502

geekindisguise

If you want you can take everything out of the Wordpress Install and put it at the root of the server, or you can look on wordpress.org and search for the way to have it in different directories. I guess the easiest would be to just put everything from the wordpress install and put it in the root of the server.

3. JavaWizKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've installed it in the directory www.mywebsite.com/wordpress/
    How do I apply the blog part of word press into my homepage? I don't want to use their themes. I already have a website layout and I just want the new blog posts to appear on my homepage along with the rest of my homepage. This is possible right?

4. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

You can install the WordPress files in whatever folder you like, either the root or a subdirectory. Just be aware that, if you move or rename the folder, you will also have to edit the configuration files because WordPress won't "know" that you've moved it and will continue to look for files in the wrong place.

WP also allows you to have almost all of your files in the subfolder (e.g. example.com/wp ), but have the blog URL as the root of the domain (example.com).

The settings for this are in the WP Dashboard under Settings>General, and there is a link on that page directly to the WordPress Codex giving instructions about how to do it.

Not sure that this is easily achievable. WP uses php scripts to retrieve posts and other content on the fly from a MySQL database on your server. It then presents them in a layout determined by the CSS of the theme in use. I guess you could create a section on your homepage with an RSS feed from the blog?

There are about 600 themes listed in the wordpress.org Theme Directory - http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/ - all of which are open source and therefore you can customise them at will. Best bet may be to choose a theme that is closest in layout to the rest of your site and then customise it to match as closely as possible. One advantage of using themes from there is that your WP install will notify you automatically from the Dashboard whenever there is an update to the installed theme.

5. JavaWizKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Best to get a response from someone who looks after the site. I would guess that the blog parts of the site are simply styled to resemble the theme used by the vBulletin install, which powers the forums.

I didn't ask if your homepage is plain html or is it using another Content Management System? If it's a CMS then it may be possible to 'wrap' the blog within a page of the main CMS and have it inherit the style of the main CMS.

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

8. JavaWizKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

My homepage has html and php with css. How can I get the blog post from Word Press in plain text and just add it to my theme?

9. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

If you're familiar with PHP, you could write a script that will access your WP database and retrieve the content that you want to display. There's a tutorial here: http://blog.puppygrinder.com/?p=91 and there may be ready-made scripts available elsewhere.

Alternatively, if you can find a WP theme that you can customise to your liking, you could simply transfer your existing homepage content to a static WP page, fix that within WP as your frontpage, and then lose the existing home page. There are some WP themes which really do not look like blogs at all. Whether this approach will suit you is difficult to judge without seeing your existing home page.

10. JavaWizKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I found something here and it shows how to add the word press into a html file.

PHP:
    <?php $recent = new WP_Query("page_id=2"); while($recent->have_posts()) : $recent->the_post();?>
    <h2><a href="<?php the_permalink(); ?>"><?php the_title(); ?></a></h2>
    <?php the_content(); ?>
    <?php 
    endwhile; ?>
    It shows the number 91 on my website. Why doesn't it work?

11. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Because that script is effectively for embedding one WordPress page inside another WordPress page. Have a look further down the same discussion - it explains that it won't work within an html page, and then the OP changes his/her direction and ends up embedding within another WP page.

12. JavaWizKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is there any other blogging software that can do this?

13. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

No matter what system you use, AFAIK you will need a script in PHP, Perl etc. to retrieve the info on the fly and present it in your html page - either by writing your own or using something already written.

Did you have no luck with the tutorial link above?

14. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I'm using SimplePie and feeding it my WordPress site's RSS feed. Quite straightforward if you're familiar with basic PHP (which is about all I know how to do!)

15. JavaWizKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've had success at last!! Thanks a lot. Now all I need to do is add the rest of the post. What function do I need to add to that code to display this? Thanks so much!!! :D

16. JavaWizKid thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've figured it out with trial and error :D However, not that I am completely away from Word Press, does it mean I have to show any credits to it on my website?

17. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

I don't... I don't think you need to. It's pretty common practice to pull posts from a blog and use them to populate your front page.

I would, however, give credit if I were pulling blog posts from someone else's blog... :D but I don't think you need to acknowledge the blog software itself.

18. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Glad you got it sorted ;). I take it you used SimplePie then?

The above post is right - you don't have to give credits for the blog software, i.e. WordPress, just as you don't have to give credits to Apache, MySQL or PHP that also drive your site. Generally speaking, with open source systems like WordPress you can usually remove any credits that appear on the page itself (e.g. the "Powered by WordPress" in the footer), but not any copyright statements etc. within the source code itself.

19. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

Well I'm havimg a horrendous time installing Wordpress onto my site. Currently I have a 403 (fordbidden) on my website http://www.michaelsen.org.uk, and I can't seem to get rid of it. I'm using Cyberduck and Text Wrangler, but despite my best efforts (removing both the Wordpress and the original site from Cyberduck), I'm having no joy. I just wanted to have it going something like www.michaelsen.org.uk/blog ...

Any help in getting that scenario would be greatly appreciated. My server is compatible with MySQ, and I did manage to install it, but now Wordpress has gone, and since doing this my original site has never appeared.:(:eek:

mofs

20. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

How did you try and install it? I find the easiest way is through svn.

21. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

I did the "famous" 5-minute install. Everything seemed ok until I tried to access my standard pages (www.michaelsen.org.uk/Welcome.html for example) and they were missing.. I tried to move Wordpress to a new folder, which lost everything. I moved it back and it was ok, but I still didn't have the original site working. I then tried to reinstall Wordpress (ie remove it from the server using Cyberduck and then download a new one into the right place but that doesn't seem to be working at all now. I don't know whether Wordpress installs hidden files that aren't showing, but ideally if I could just install it into michaelsen.org.uk/blog that would be awesome.

22. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can install it to any directory you want;

-SSH to your server
    -create the /blog/ directory
    -go to the blog directory
    -follow these instructions

23. vivithemage macrumors 6502a

vivithemage

some web hosting companies offer fantastico which will automate the installation for you.

otherwise, read the readme, it's pretty basic -- just upload the files into the folder you want it into and go to the folder via the web http://fsdgsfgfs.com/wordpress and it'll start the install.

24. MOFS macrumors 65816

MOFS

Thanks for your help. In the end it seemed I had a corrupted index.html file so had to reinstall it. If anyone can help with me improve its synergy with the rest of the site please look at http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=670995. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mofs