Installing X-Serve with all software and then trasnplanting HDDs?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by Switchbak, Nov 25, 2011.

1. Switchbak macrumors newbie

Is it possible to install everything onto an Xserve and then once completely built can I swap the drives into another Xserve with the same hardware? Will the RAID etc still work?

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    N

2. foidulus macrumors 6502a

This will not work if you have your xserve hard disks set up as a RAID as the disks all have to be formatted and read/written to together. However, if you leave them as individual drives then you should have no problem, where I work we frequently swap out XServe drives(but again, we don't configure them to be in a RAID)

3. Switchbak thread starter macrumors newbie

As stated in my post the raid drives would be installed together

And if they were installed together and i swapped both drives then they would match which should mean that as the RAID info is stored on the drives then it shouldnt be a problem?
    N

4. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

if the raid controller is the same and running the same raid controller firmware version, yes, it should work. but, I wouldn't guarantee it. Test first!

5. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If it doesn't work you can clone the drive to another computer which has RAID already set up.

6. Waragainstsleep macrumors regular

It should work if you're using software RAID. If you have the Apple RAID card it may not.