Installing XBMC

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by moxy1980, Jul 8, 2011.

1. moxy1980 macrumors newbie

Right, i'm a newbie so go easy...

It has taken me all afternoon to jailbreak my ATV2. I have done it using Seas0npass.

Now I am trying to install XBMC on my Mac...what a nightmare!

I have my ATV2 connected using a mini usb, and I have tried with and without the power cord connected. I am using Terminal to try to connect to it by writing the following;

helen-nichols-computer:~ helennichol$ ssh root@192.xxx.x.x

but i just get;

ssh: connect to host 192.xxx.x.x port 22: Operation timed out

I need clear help here!

2. DefBref macrumors 6502

You don't need to connect via the usb anymore thats just to get it jailbroken. Connect it to your network then you ssh in.

3. moxy1980, Jul 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011

moxy1980 thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, I got connected, it is now asking for a password (this should be alpine??) but it won't let me type anything??!!??

4. roidy macrumors 6502a

The password is hidden, so as you type nothing will appear on the screen. Just type it and press enter.

5. moxy1980 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, got there.

I now have the XBMC option available on my Apple TV start up screen on the television. When I open XBMC on the mac I can link it to where my movies etc are, but I can't figure out how to link the XBMC on the Apple TV to the computer.

I have made sure that I have checked SMB in System Preferences > Sharing. Yet when I go to the television, select Videos > Files, I only get a blank screen. When I select Videos > Library I get two options 'Add Videos' and Video Add-ons. I can't find Add source?

Even if I do select Add Videos, go to Windows network (SMB) it comes up with Error 2: Share not available...

I'm lost here so any help would be appreciated.

6. natethomas1 macrumors newbie

Have you shared your movies on your mac over the network?