Installing XP- Need backup?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JoshLV, May 26, 2008.

1. JoshLV macrumors regular

So I'm about to install XP via Bootcamp on my MBP. Are my files at risk? Do I need to backup?

2. wesrk macrumors 6502a

no, just read the boot camp guide from apple site and follow those easy steps.

3. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

It is always a good idea to have a backup of your data before doing anything drastic to your system such as this.

I would recommend using Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper to clone your HD to an external HD.

Having said that, Bootcamp is pretty reliable and I've had no problems whatsoever with my HDs when using Bootcamp. But it is always best to be safe and have a backup than to not have one when things go bad on you.

4. JoshLV thread starter macrumors regular

Ahhhh FAIL! I guess the disk I was going to use wasn't official. As I began the installation, I was brought to a black screen that said insert the disk and press a button. I reinserted the disk but it wouldn't have it. So I called it quits and rebooted, but it kept coming back to the same screen. So I rebooted again and held the Option key and chose Mac. I was taken back to my regular stuff and it went good. But now, every time I start up, it takes me to the black screen again. I don't want to have to keep holding the Option key, so how can I get rid of the black screen?:confused:

5. wesrk macrumors 6502a

Did you try deleting the partition you created with bootcamp? Start Bootcamp again and select to eliminate the partition and let it do its thing. If you tried this already, then I don't know.

6. JoshLV thread starter macrumors regular

I just deleted the partition, yet it still boots up to the black screen.:mad:

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Check your startup disk in System Preferences