Installing XP Pro on new MBP 15" i7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by prdupete, May 11, 2010.

1. prdupete macrumors newbie

I just purchased the new MBP 15" i7 and am going to install XP Pro on Bootcamp so I can run my AutoCAD 2004. I just bought the full version of XP Pro, but not with Service Pack 2. As I read the directions to Bootcamp, its says that it needs to be Service Pack 2. Is this really true? Will I not be able to download the updates necessary to bring it up to SP 2 and then SP 3? Any and all help very much appreciated.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

From when and where is that Windows XP version? Most likely it already includes SP2 and SP3.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

If your install disc really does not have SP2 or SP3, and it was not heavily customized for an OEM, you can add SP2 or SP3 to it via a process called slipstreaming. Paul Thurrott has guides on how to do this. http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_sp2_slipstream.asp http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/xpsp3_slipstream.asp

If you don't have a PC on which to perform those tasks, you can install your XP or a trial version of Windows 7 into a virtual machine on your Mac. Virtualbox is free, VMWare Fusion and Parallels Desktop have free trials. Just don't enter a product key (some XPs won't let you install without one, others will) or activate it to avoid activation issues when you get Boot Camp installed.

Please do not try to install XP or XPSP1 on your Mac. Those who have managed to do so manage to get themselves into a real mess.

B

4. prdupete thread starter macrumors newbie

I just purchased the Windows XP full version from Software Media.com.
    It says it is 2002 version, but I just opened it, and it does have SP 2. I didn't want to open it in case I needed to return it. A quick phone call and they let me know it did have SP 2 on it.

My next question is will I be able to upgrade to SP 3 once its loaded?

Thanks for all answers to a boot camp newbie.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes, it should not be an issue now that the drivers support SP3.

B