Installing XP SP3 on my Mac.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Macdeez, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Macdeez macrumors member

I want to install Windows XP SP3 on my mac using bootcamp. I want to know what exactly I need other than bootcamp and the SP3 installation disc. I have never installed windows on this mac before.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

3. meckjoo macrumors newbie

Doable

As he said, Apple does not support anything prior to Windows 7. In other threads I see many Macphiles telling users that they need to get Win7.

That being said, that does not mean it will not work. I installed XP SP3, and it works perfectly fine. The only issue is that I need the drivers so I can get online! If i have those, I can update them on my own and be in business.

Am a noob to mac, so I dont know how to find what specific hardware is in my MBP so I can get the WINXP drivers for it.

I am willing to step out on a limb without Apple support (God forbid!) and load up my Windows partition with the correct drivers and get it going and report back how it goes.

Again, just need to know how in Mac to find what I got in this puppy (brands, version, etc).

Thanks!

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1846

I was wrong it is W7 only, not even Vista for the 2010 MBA and MBP. All other ones on the list still support 32 bit XP.

Without all the drivers, I really don't know how you can say it is working perfectly. :p

Yeah, as I said. Doesn't mean it can't be made to work it just isn't supported.

Boot back to OS X and hit the :apple: in the menu bar -> About this Mac -> More Info for all the detailed information you might need. The drivers may well be in the Boot Camp MSI file and be able to be manually installed.

B

5. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

I had XP sp3 working on my Mac. Then I upgraded it to 7 because I needed the 64 bit architecture to take advantage of the 8gb of RAM. I'd say just get 7 and save yourself a lot of headache.

6. Macdeez thread starter macrumors member

I installed XP SP3 using a trail version of VMWare, later on when the trail expires I'll probably buy Win7 and install it using bootcamp.