Installing XP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by rmkonrath, Nov 12, 2010.

1. rmkonrath, Nov 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2010

rmkonrath macrumors newbie

I want to install windows XP on my new MBP.

I want to use parallel or something similar but haven't purchased yet. I've already partitioned liek 5gb(only need it for one small program) with bootcamp.

My question is how do I install XP. Do i have to boot in bootcamp or how do I do it? sorry I'm new to this.

1 more question:

I want to run both at the same time, mac and windows, and I've heard vmware is the best option. I went to their website and they have so many different products I don't know which one I'm supposed to buy/download.

Also, would you recommend Vmware or Virtualbox if I'm just using it for one application. Since Virtualbox is free
    Please help

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

VMWare Fusion

Since one is free, you can try the free one first and see, if it suffices your needs with that one application - which by the way? - you need to run in Windows.
    If that does not suffice, you can always upgrade to VMWare Fusion.

Btw, to quote someone, just press the [​IMG] button.

To quote several posts, use the [​IMG] button (multi-quote).

To edit your posts, use the [​IMG] button.

All these buttons are on the bottom right of the posts.

3. rmkonrath thread starter macrumors newbie

4. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

I found that following the directions that come with the software (in your case Parallels) always works. I'm not trying to be sarcastic I'm only saying if you read the installation manual it should go VERY smoothly. 99% of installation problems come from individuals think they don't need to read the manual. The same holds true with your MBP, if you haven't read the manual yet I'd be willing to bet you will learn something you weren't aware of.

I currently use VM Ware Fusion (that is the VM Ware product you need). Again following the installation instructions are very straight forward if you simply read the installation manual.

5. rmkonrath thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm now running Vmware Fusion to run one application on my MBP. I do have one question that I was unable to find help for on their website.

I want to make a desktop, or dock icon for that one application that I can click on that will open fusion and that application. Instead of having to open fusion and then open the application.

Any ideas?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member