Installing Yosemite on New Mac Pro

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by realph, Jun 29, 2014.

  1. realph macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 21, 2007
    #1
    I've just gotten a new Mac Pro and was thinking about installing a fresh copy of the Yosemite Developer Preview on there as I'd like to use the new OS as soon as possible.

    I wanted to ask a question regarding upgrading down the line and if I'd be able to easily upgrade to the beta when it's out in July, and further down the line the public release later this fall. Will I be able to install these versions to replace my Yosemite version, or will I have to do a fresh install each and every time? Will going from Developer Preview to Beta to Public cause problems with the OS?

    For example, I've heard you should partition your drive and install 10.10 on a separate partition. What if I don't do this and install it as the primary OS? Is this bad?

    What are the pros, cons, etc. I usually use OS releases when they're publicly made available, so I'd appreciate any help with this.

    Thanks in advance!
     
  2. brand macrumors 601

    brand

    Joined:
    Oct 3, 2006
    Location:
    127.0.0.1
    #2
    Take some time to read this forum to find out all of the issues that people are having to get your cons.
     
  3. haravikk macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 1, 2005
    #3
    In particular there seems to be an issue with a process (UserEventAgent) using a lot of CPU time, which impacts performance, energy efficiency, heat etc., personally I'd wait for that to be fixed first if you can, otherwise you're going to be spending time stopping it every time it misbehaves, or tinkering to disable it, which could lead to other problems (or even a non-booting OS).

    Some of the UI elements aren't finished yet, while the light theme works well, I'm not sure if the dark theme is as complete yet.

    The biggest reasons to upgrade are the new UI or the updated apps, but none of them is really as stable as a final release. If you're desperate to get in early then I'd wait for either the next developer preview or the public beta; I expect if there is another developer preview then it'll be close to what the public beta will be.
     
  4. Outrigger macrumors 68000

    Outrigger

    Joined:
    Dec 22, 2008
    #4
    Based on the type of questions you're asking, I would tell you to avoid the DP and wait for retail version.
     

Share This Page