Installing Yosemite problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hasek3139, Oct 27, 2014.

1. hasek3139 macrumors 6502

I have a 2012 mbpr , tried installing Yosemite over night , woke up a black screen with apple logo and progress bar 1/4 done, waited 2 hours, same screen. Called apple, they had me restore from back up , towards the end of restoring it failed, tried it two more times from a different backup, failed. Finally had to erase HDD, set up as new from Lion, then restore from back up. Very long ordeal. My question is , did I do something wrong? I want to upgrade to Yosemite but don't want it to fail again or w.e any one have nay suggestions?

thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I am assuming here you just downloaded Yosemite from the app store and when the installer launched you just clicked on through and let it begin? If that is what you did, there really is not anywhere there you can go wrong.

Almost sounds like you have a drive failing. Are you seeing any other symptoms like general system slowness?

3. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

You used to be able to view console messages while installing OS X. I never paid much attention to mine when I installed Yosemite, so I'm not sure if that capability still exists in the OS X installer. It's changed somewhat in Mavericks, and especially Yosemite, so that option may not be in the same place, or exist at all anymore for that matter. If it does, then I would look there during the install, and make note of any error messages, warnings, or the last few lines displayed in it in the case of a seemingly hung install process.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I was thinking along the same lines. There is a file called install.log at /private/var/log that maybe would have helped, but that got wiped when OP erased the disk.

5. hasek3139 thread starter macrumors 6502

that is what i did, i want to install Yosemite again but gonna be pissed if it freezes and i have toe pend half a day to reinstall

6. Jnesbitt82 macrumors 6502

Jnesbitt82

You're not alone!

I just tried installing it on mine. It said it failed and then restarted. I tried to recover to Mavericks but now it's stuck in a loop. I might believe it was a bad HD if it was just a few people, but I'm seeing this with multiple users. Oh and my apple care just ran out on Oct 23.

7. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

It's command-L to see the console log messages as the install runs. Useful when it gets stuck on "one minute remaining" forever.