InstallMac malware?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MlleJules, Sep 23, 2014.

1. MlleJules macrumors newbie

Hi all, I've had Macs for a while without ever experiencing issues with malware or adware or viruses. I've also been using the Chrome browser with default search engine set to Google for ages - again no problems.

A couple of days ago I clicked on a link from Facebook messenger that opened a map in Bing. Looked at the map, closed the tab, but then later when I opened a new tab, my default search engine was Bing. I had no idea how it happened, but I just reset it to Google.

Haven't had any further problems until today. New tabs still open with Google as search engine, but opening the browser fresh brings up a "search engine" called "InstallMac". There is a link below the search field to "Remove InstallMac". I have never downloaded this thing or indeed even visited the website, so I'm pretty sure that "removing" InstallMac will not work! (I am very careful whenever I download or install things to read the fine print and make sure I'm not installing "extras". I don't get tripped up on toolbars!)

I don't really know what's going on or what I should do about it. I find these things pretty scary and I'm worried all of my data is getting passed around right now, if my Chrome has been hacked enough to get strange new search engines appearing randomly.

Help, advice, please?

Thanks,
    Julie

2. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

It is mostly likely an adware that has installed itself. It happens. Go here (The Safe Mac) and it will provide you with instructions on removing it.

3. MlleJules thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! AdwareMedic found about seven or eight things, all related to genieo. They are removed now.

I now realise how I got this, which was downloading a program from SoftTonic on Sunday to open .rar files. (I didn't realise before that SoftTonic was bad!!)

Is there something I need to do now with this application? Will having it as an app reinfect my computer? Should I simply not use it, in case removing it causes more problems than just leaving it there?

Julie

----------

Unfortunately, I am still getting the same problem. The Adware removal tool clearly found InstallMac related things and supposedly got rid of them, but opening the browser still brings up its "search engine". Running AdwareMedic again says "nothing found".

I guess there is something else I should do, clearing browser cache maybe? I know uninstalling isn't easy to do with Macs, not sure how I would go about rebooting Chrome, if that's what I need to do.

Julie

----------

Never mind, I have read the help documentation provided with AdwareMedic and it says it doesn't fix the home page reset and to do that manually.

D'oh! Always read the instructions!!

Julie

4. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep... that is definitely a nice tool he put together.

6. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

There is a free app in the MAS call Unarchiver. It will take care of rar files with ease. And, you won't have to worry about adware. ;) Don't download stuff from the site you did, much less CNET etc. They package adware with them. Always get your apps from the MAS or directly from the developer site. And as you noted, always read the fine print, not to mention doing a search ahead of time to make sure that the app is legit etc.

7. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Do not not know how many times I have seen it recommended by other and myself both on these forums and other sites. Wonderful tool for people who inadvertently make the mistake of downloading these nasty adwares.

Can not blame them though. These sites are getting more and more clever at hiding this crap!

8. MlleJules thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all!

Any suggestions on what I should do with the .dmg I downloaded and installed that apparently came with the adware? I can trash the download. Will it be enough to do the same with the app?