instant buyer's remorse-new switcher

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SOOPERNOOB!, May 10, 2008.

1. SOOPERNOOB! macrumors newbie

Just bought a current refurb blackbook from Apple.....is the return policy the same? also, just wanted to hear viewpoints from folks who have been in both worlds about what to expect good or bad. Guess I just wanted my own thread to directly address any questions\concerns i might have. (product has not arrived yet and have agonized over this for months now - yeah, I'm a goof

2. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

Any specific reasons on why you are feeling like that, without having the notebook.

3. SOOPERNOOB! thread starter macrumors newbie

just...big purchase for me, jumping into the unknown, all that. just wanted to start my own discussion. Wanted to hear different viewpoints\ask my own questions. My view: worth it to pay (at this moment when I have the means) extra for the OS, etc versus a competitve PC market where the specs\ packacging are changing all the time

4. asme macrumors regular

Return policy is the same for all Apple products. 14 days, no questions asked.

It's not that hard. Really, read the website.

5. StuBeck macrumors 6502

Maybe just get the base macbook and save a bit of money? You can get a case to make the outside black, and upgrade the hard drive if you get the 2.4 to get the same specs. I'm going to get the base MacBook in a while and upgrade the ram and hard drive in the future.

6. DouglasP macrumors newbie

They will return it no questions asked. But let me says this as an added tip. Force yourself to use the Blackbook for one week, and refuse to boot up to Windows for NOT ONE single thing.

Do that, and you will never go back I swear. (I follow that same tip long ago)

7. farmerku macrumors regular

farmerku

Im with a supernoop... I haven't bought one yet but I am very close to getting the black macbook. I have zero experience with mac for the most part and I am worried about the transition but from what I understand it seems like a very good product.

The one thing I know I will have to get over is the flawless nature of the mac and its operating system... my friends who have macs rave and rave about how amazing it is and how much pc's suck. Yet I come one this forums and blogs and read quite a bit reoccuring problems and durability issues. But I think that apple does their best to take care of the problems that occur on their products and I can only imagine that their products are way more durable than my ***** dell.

I have been seriously considering the switch and I interested to see how your purchase goes.

8. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

And that's pretty much all you'll see people taking the time to post about: their problems. Folks will rarely go to any manufacturer-specific website and rave about the perfectness of it. Go to a Dell or Gateway or Frigidare or Ford or Bose forum and see if the gripe ratio is significantly lower. Folks come here in many ways to find resolutions for the .001 percent of Mscs that are truly problematic. Don't let the problems noted here frighten you off; it's the same all over (but not as bad here).

I've had dozens of Apple products over the last three decades, and have had one hard drive failure (on a four year old Power Mac) and one power supply failure (on a three year old iMac G5). Far better odds than on three company-issued Dells in six years that have had at least eight major failures.

My year-old MacBook goes on the road about 40 weeks a year on business, and is subject to all kinds of abuse, and has been perfect (even when I'm running XP on it) in all that time, not even a hint of a problem.

9. farmerku macrumors regular

farmerku

Nice way to put it.

I totally agree in fact I think I would feel more comfortable because of forums like this because people are proactively identifying promlems and assisting others in fixing them the best way possible, as well as tips on how to prevent certain problems. Not only do I really like the company from what I can tell the community is great as well.

10. ScottFitz macrumors 6502a

Before you bought, I hope you spent some time at Best Buy or hte apple store to put your hands on them for a while. I went to an iMac a year and a half ago and only use WinxP when forced to at work. It's okay, better than Vista, but I still prefer the Mac OS.

I'm about to buy a laptop and each time I think I have my mind made up, I go back to Best Buy for some quality time and get confused again. I was set to get a 2.4 white macbook, then fell in love with the screen on the Air. Now I'm contemplating a MBP, but it's still probably going to be the Air.

11. pagansoul macrumors 65816

pagansoul

For years I wanted a Mac. It was a good 10 years ago. I had previously had an Acer desktop that I had a ton of proplems with and tried my hand at building my own machine, it lasted 2 years, then came a HP that had so much unwanted stuff pre-loaded I never felt like it was mine. It also lasted 2 years before I gave it to my brother and he broke it in one year. Then came my Gateway Profile 5 (which I still have) and my first iMac. I loved my iMac, it was the white all-in-one, no camera yet, PPC. For 2 years I was in heaven except when I would try to get into second life. You see I only had 512Ram and don't remember the processor. I decided that it wasn't worth upgrading my machine because the new ones were intel and came with isight camera built-in but I wanted someting that was easy to upgrade so I ended up with the MacPro (2.6/500GB HD/1GB RAM which I upgrade right away to 5GB RAM/2TB HD). One thing about the MacPro is that it was never going anywhere, the thing was heavy. I still had my Gateway and iMac which were in different rooms. I started lusting for a notebook. I ended up getting a re-fab blackbook, 2.2/4GB RAM/250GB HD, and now I use it more than my MacPro.

The moral of this story is that PCs arn't bad but they try so hard to be everything for everyone they have too much garbage in them. I find Macs to be more streamlined and I enjoy going to MacUpdate and places with 3rd party programs to test for what I actually want to use. You will find that owning a Mac is a much more pleasant experience and MacRumors a fun place to see all the things you can do, if you want.

I'm also one of those people who never had a problem with her Macs. Everything that has gone wrong is because I did it myself and have always been able to right my error.