Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
My mid-2014 13" MacBook Pro struggles to connect to my iPhone 5s. This issue has happened ever since I upgraded to Yosemite. Occasionally, a connection will be made to my phone, but more often than not, I am presented with this message after an attempt to connect:

937e321efd5a86809e109992deb8ef0a.png

The issue is that Personal Hotspot is enabled, I am on an LTE network, Bluetooth LE is enabled on both devices, and both are near each other. Sometime I try to connect with a Lightning cable, to no avail.

At this point I don't have a solution to the problem.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

EDIT: Both are using the same iCloud address.​

Last edited:

capuzino

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2013
Finland
Do you have WiFi ON on your iPhone?
If not, turn it on and try again. Helped for me.

Last edited:

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
Do you have WiFi ON on your iPhone?
If not, turn it on and try again. Helped for me.

I've tried numerous times to toggle WiFi throughout the months to no avail, if that's what you're wondering.

Another symptom of this problem is the gray Bluetooth icon in the upper right corner of the 5s flashes rapidly, but subtly the instant I initiate the the Instant Hotspot connection on my MBP. Successful connections to my MBP are usually accompanied with the blue Personal Hotspot bar stuck on my phone while I'm connected to my MBP.

capuzino

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2013
Finland
I've tried numerous times to toggle WiFi throughout the months to no avail, if that's what you're wondering.

I exactly meant that you should have WiFi on (along with bluetooth) to make Instant Hotspot work properly.

Another symptom of this problem is the gray Bluetooth icon in the upper right corner of the 5s flashes rapidly, but subtly the instant I initiate the the Instant Hotspot connection on my MBP.

Sounds like there's some problems with the bluetooth connection, but Apple's Troubleshoot Guide should help with those.

Successful connections to my MBP are usually accompanied with the blue Personal Hotspot bar stuck on my phone while I'm connected to my MBP.
The blue Personal Hotspot bar is part of the deal.

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
I exactly meant that you should have WiFi on (along with bluetooth) to make Instant Hotspot work properly.

Sounds like there's some problems with the bluetooth connection, but Apple's Troubleshoot Guide should help with those.

The blue Personal Hotspot bar is part of the deal.

WiFi is on and I don't think I'm having bluetooth problems. But now, Airdrop barely works, SMS to Mac hasn't worked in a while, and Handoff is always unpredictable. Could it be a Wifi issue?

Last edited:

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
Surprise! It STILL doesn't work!!!! :mad:

Even after updating to 10.10.3, with perfectly good hardware, I STILL cannot connect to my beautiful 5s from my 2014 rMBP with AT&T instant hotspot. It's ridiculous!

Dekema2

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
WNY or Utica
Here is the solution:

1. Sign out of the iCloud account on both devices. Let iCloud delete everything when asked. It all comes back when you sign back in later.
2. Reset Network Settings on the iPhone in (General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings).
3. If necessary, rename the phone to what you want it called (General -> About -> Name).
4. Power down both devices.
5. Restart iPhone and log back in to iCloud.
6. Restart other device and log back into iCloud.

John6Plus

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2014
Holland, MI
Gah. Was having the same problem as you except handoff was working, just no instant hotspot (it would show up in the network list but fail to connect). I tried the above steps, and now handoff doesn't work either. :mad:

This is insane. This is on an iPhone 6+ and 2015 13" MacBook Pro, both updated to the latest and "greatest."

The two devices must be talking because I can do SMS messaging from the Mac. So befuddled.

----------

Update: Now it works?

Well. Ok then. I didn't so much as power down, reboot, or anything since I last posted. It's not been working for hours. I post the message, now it works.

Oh, not really. I'm just back to where I started, which is at least better than a few minutes ago. Instant hotspot still broken. It works from home with my 2011 Mini (which needs a hack to enable it in the first place).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.