iPad Instant Hotspot - AT&T Customers Don't Need LTE iPad Air 2?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by boltjames, Oct 16, 2014.

1. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

I searched and I can't find the answer, getting ready to buy a new iPad Air 2 in a few hours please help....

I have AT&T unlimited data plan on my iPhone 6.

I have AT&T unlimited data plan on my current iPad 3 LTE.

Can I just purchase a wi-fi iPad tonight and use Apple's new Instant Hot Spot feature to allow my iPhone 6 to feed data to the new iPad or is AT&T going to prevent me from doing this?

Again, thanks, I can't find the definitive answer.

BJ

2. screensaver400 macrumors 6502a

You'd need to have a tethering feature enabled on your iPhone account. AFAIK, it's not possible to get it with AT&T.

3. M87 macrumors 65816

Does your iPhone currently allow you to create a hotspot? The instant hotspot thing basically just means that you can go into wifi and connect to your iphone even if it doesn't have it's hotspot turned on. I don't see why at&t would block it if they already allow you to create a hotspot, but it is at&t so logic and reason may not apply.

4. Sissyboy macrumors regular

Sissyboy

if I am not mistaken, when someone adds a hotspot to their unlimited plan it cancels the unlimited plan.

At least it did when I added a hotspot to my phone.

I doesnt bother me though.
    And right now they are offering double data plans.
    For no additional cost.

5. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68040

boltjames

In order to tether my iPad to my iPhone with ATT I'd have to give up the unlimited data plan which I don't want to do. I like the peace of mind.

But now that Apple is building this feature into the hardware, I'm wondering if it no longer is ATT's call and Apple's instant hotspot is an override.

Need to know for sure before I place my order in a few hours. Would save me $25 a month if I could nuke the UDP on the iPad and use instant hotspot to get data off the iPhone.

BJ

6. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

If you enable hot spot and AT&T finds out, you will more than likely lose your unlimited data plan. There is no 'Apple took it out of their hands.'

7. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

No, you can't tether with an unlimited data plan from AT&T. I don't believe they even allowed it with their tiered plans for a while. Regardless, to use Apple's Instant Hotspot your iPhone has to have a separate tethering feature through AT&T. This feature is automatic if your on a mobile share plan.

8. boltjames thread starter macrumors 68040

boltjames

Thanks guys, looks like I'm stuck with two unlimited data plans on two different devices.

Appreciate the information.

BJ