Instant Hotspot btwn iPad & iPhone 5 (IOS8 GM)

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by xolan99, Sep 11, 2014.

1. xolan99 macrumors regular

Anybody know how the "instant hotspot" feature is supposed to work between iPad and iPhone 5? I have tethering available through AT&T. But I can only seem to tether the old way (ie. turn on Personal Hotspot, log in iPad by finding Wifi name, typing password)

Isn't instant hotspot supposed to be an automatic, no password feature?

2. MacrumoursUser macrumors 6502

MacrumoursUser

Same Apple I'd on both devices and Bluetooth on.

3. rwilliams macrumors 68040

rwilliams

I just tried it out using my iPad and iPhone, and it worked. Both are on the same wifi network, and both have bluetooth enabled. On the iPad, I went into Settings, Wi-Fi, saw my iPhone listed under "Personal Hotspots" and tapped it. The hotspot then enabled itself on the iPhone and the iPad connected to it. I didn't have to enter anything.

4. Skika macrumors 68030

Yes its a very handy feature. When you disconnect from your iPad it even turns off personal hotspot on your iPhone.

5. robertpatryk macrumors member

Does it work on iPhone 4s and iPad Air or it requires iPhone 5 and above?

6. MacrumoursUser macrumors 6502

MacrumoursUser

Sadly it doesn't work for me. I see it, but connecting to it doesn't work and I get an error saying remote hotspot failed

7. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I can get my iPad Air to connect to my iPhone no problem; what I'm a tad disappointed by is that the iPad doesn't seem able to initiate the connection, I have to manually do it. I assume it will be this way with my MBA when I upgrade it to Yosemite as well. Still a great feature, just wish it could do that.

8. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I'm planning on buying the next iPad and was thinking the other day that it should be easier to tether, didn't know about this new feature. Seems like it'll be very convenient if it works right!

9. MacrumoursUser macrumors 6502

MacrumoursUser

Finally got it working. Took 3 complete device resets to do it.

10. Jalu macrumors member

What do you mean with 'device resets'?

I can't get my iPad Air to connect to the instant hotspot on my iPhone 5s. My iPad mini connects perfectly fine. I've even done a complete reset and restore on my iPad Air, no luck. I can see the devices connecting over Bluetooth, but then an error pops up saying the instant hotspot can't be enabled on the iPhone.

I'm fresh out of ideas...

11. daijholt macrumors 6502a

daijholt

I've had a problem making it work, just kept getting a "remote hotspot failed" error. I reset the network settings on my iPad and then it started working.

Did you restore from a backup or did you set up as new?

12. Jalu macrumors member

I managed to get it working by performing a settings reset on my iPhone.

13. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

so it's safe to upgrade to iOS8 on iPad Air to get Personal Hotspot? I have unlimited AT&T plan with JB to turn this on in iOS7.

14. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

I have a really weird thing going on here. I've now reset network settings on both iPhone 5s and iPad mini, both on GM. The name of my iPhone has been reset, but personal hotspot still shows the old name on my Mini. I cannot connect to it even if I change the name back on my iPhone to match the name showing under personal hotspot.

No matter how many times I reset the Mini or reset network settings, it still comes up showing the old name under personal hotspot. The new name shows (when enabled) under available networks, but not under personal hotspot, even though all settings are identical on both devices (same networks, bluetooth on, etc.).

Thoughts?

15. 3square macrumors regular

16. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

I thought this feature allowed people without the hotspot plan from their carrier to create a hotspot using their iPhone for just Apple devices? Is that not the case?

17. gpspad macrumors 6502

Just before the launch of IOS8 my carrier announced the ability for $5/day. It worked great, but it is a pay as you go feature.

Is this feature carrier specific?

18. bloodflower macrumors newbie

It doesn't appear to turn off personal hotspot in my iphone when I disconnect from my iPad. Does this work for others?
    :apple:

19. bloodflower macrumors newbie

Actually, it does turn off in about 2-3 minutes.:apple:

20. Sylon macrumors 68020

Sylon

Looking at Apple's website about iOS 8, it looks like the Instant Hotspot feature is still carrier controlled. Even though during the keynote, Apple made it sound like it wouldn't be.

So damn discouraging, I was really looking forward to this feature.

21. gpspad macrumors 6502

I guess if its that easy to to turn it on and off, it will probably be easy to override if a jail break is ever available.

My fingers are crossed my carrier decides to implement wifi calling. I have bad reception in some areas where I have great wifi. Wifi calling is one feature that would be awesome.