Instant hotspot & continuity away from WiFi?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by GrumpyTrucker, Jun 29, 2014.

1. GrumpyTrucker macrumors 6502a

I fully realise iOS 8 is only in its early Beta stages right now, but one thing I've been wondering: is it possible at least some aspects of continuity will work if away from a wifi network? A lot of what I've been reading seems to implying that they're using a combination of BTLE and WiFi for these features, but in the end the data transfer can't really be any different than AirDrop which doesn't require an external WiFi source, and uses an adhoc connection.

My reasons for wondering this are: I spend a long time (13-14 hours) each day not connected to a wifi network. I'm really hoping that I'll be able to pick up my iPad and have it automatically connect to my iPhone for WiFi without having to do the "open iPhone settings to the hotspot page" dance each time like I have to now. Also, it would be nice (since I do have green bubble friends) if the SMS would come over to the iPad when out and about and not have to wait until I get home and have them all come over at once.

So, even if it's not working right now - which I'd be surprised if it was, does anyone have any thoughts on whether such a thing might work as we get to final release?

2. BrettDS macrumors 65816

Right now I can use my iPad to connect to my iPhone's personal hotspot without turning the hotspot on in the settings on the phone. It doesn't appear to be automatic in that i need to go to the wifi settings on the iPad and select the iPhone's hotspot, but it doesn't require that anything be done on the phone itself, so it's much easier than with iOS 7.

Also, in my testing, it appears that the iPhone and iPad do not need to share a wifi connection for SMS to work on the iPad. In fact, I'm not sure that bluetooth is even necessary for this. I did some testing earlier where I disabled bluetooth and wifi on my iPad (it's a cellular ipad, so it still had a data connection, but it wasn't on the same wifi network as my iphone) and I was still able to send and receive SMS messages on the iPad.

3. GrumpyTrucker thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, that all seems hopeful. It does at least shorten the steps to get the iPad connected somewhat. It'd be nice to think that if the iPhone were the only connection available it would connect without needing even that first step, but I can see how that could be an issue with data caps.

As for the SMS transfer, I was expecting needing the wifi and/or bluetooth on. Although with it still having a data connection I'm wondering if the relaying of messages isn't being done locally, and they're being bounced from the phone to Apple's servers and back?

Anyway, thanks for looking. It's always difficult knowing what will actually be of any use just from the keynote because they're always using wifi, the latest equipment, and they never say what each service requires to work.

Thanks again.

4. BrettDS macrumors 65816

Yeah, I agree... I'd love for this to be automatic. I've always gotten cellular iPads, which have a higher initial cost, plus a monthly cost for a data plan. If this could work automatically then I wouldn't need to get the cellular iPad because my phone is always with me anyway.

In my ideal world, I'd love to see it connect automatically to the iPhone hotspot and also treat it with the same restrictions that the iPhone and iPad give a cellular connection. Things like backup and automatic updates won't work when it's on the personal hotspot connection to prevent people from going over their data caps.

That appears to be the case... and it's definitely pretty cool if it is:)

5. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

That's what I was hoping for too. If it worked that way with the iPad and my MBA, I wouldn't have to bother with a mifi anymore, which would be great.