Instant Hotspot - Hot the ******?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Sparxxx, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Sparxxx macrumors regular

Guys could someone of you please help me with the Instant Hotpspot feature in iOS 8?
    I am using an Iphone 6 and an Ipad Air but can't get the Instant Hotspot function to work.
    Please tell me step by step what I have to do to enable it.

Thanks!

2. madsci954 macrumors 68030

Both devices are on iOS 8 and signed in with the same iCloud account and your iPhone isn't showing up in Wifi under Personal Hotspot?

3. megalaser macrumors 6502

megalaser

I am with AT&T and it says I have to contact them - this is BS . . . I thought that one of the features of IOS8 was allowing the sharing of any cell connection, not having to buy another sharing plan . . .

4. DblHelix macrumors 6502

Still need to pay for it. Works on my t-mobile where I get 5gb of personal hotspot

5. zedsdead macrumors 68040

If you have a grandfathered ATT data unlimited plan IT WILL NOT WORK for any hotspots.

6. hypno macrumors regular

I have all kinds of buggy problems with instant hotspot from my Macbook. Most of the time I have to wake my iPhone up before it shows up in my WiFi list. I can also make it appear instantly in my Macbook if I scan for the hotspot with my iPad Mini. Once the iPad Mini finds it the instant hotspot shows up instantly on my Macbook.

7. moonman239 macrumors 68000

This. OP, if you're paying for multiple lines, I would consider buying a Mobile Share data plan. That means you'd be sharing a certain amount of available data with another person whose service you're being billed for. These data plans come with the Personal Hotspot feature.

8. Sparxxx thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, both are on iOS 8 and use the same iCloud account.
    My Hotspot function is active with the provider (Swisscom as I live in Switzerland).
    Never manage to get Instant Hotspot to work. I still use the old method but would like to benefit from the new one.
    Any help?
    Thanks

9. sunfire7 macrumors member

10. Sparxxx thread starter macrumors regular

Well... They mainly talk about hand off... I am more interested in Instant Hotspot between my Ipad and Iphone when I am not at homd and not having wifi

11. sunfire7 macrumors member

Just follow the steps and enjoy your instant hotspot, its working great between my 5s and iPad air

12. ZeRoLiMiT macrumors 6502a

ZeRoLiMiT

13. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

No, iOS 8 simply makes the existing hotspot feature more seamless. Allowing you to use any data connection would almost certainly violate the contracts that Apple has with these carriers.

14. Sparxxx thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, I got it working.
    All I did was a "Reset All Settings" on the Ipad.
    Bluetooth need to be "ON".

15. skwood macrumors 6502a

skwood

Glad to hear you got it working. For future reference mine connects 100% of the time *if* I keep the settings page of personal hotspot open during connection. Otherwise it is hit and miss.

16. Sparxxx thread starter macrumors regular

Well... for me it always worked without keeping that page open.Otherwise it makes no sense. I don't want to take the phone out of my pocket. Thats the whole idea behind, right? :).

Now I am wondering if it works through Bluetooth or not... otherwise I can keep it off.

17. Sparxxx thread starter macrumors regular

Well, it worked for a day and now it's gone. No idea how this stupid **** is suposed to work.
    It should be something easy but it turns out they ****ed it up big time since iOS 8
    Ples the wifi issues I am having with my Ipad Air... Not good Apple, not good.

18. legioxi macrumors 6502a

Instant Hotspot or whatever doesn't work for me either. iOS 8.0.2, OS X 10.10 GM and I have to manually add a new network to the MacBook and enter the WPA2 password each time. It finds my phone fine but when I select it from the WiFi list, I get a failure after a while. Handoff works fine but this piece does not.

19. Sparxxx thread starter macrumors regular

With 8.1 it's working perfect now... Cool stuff. Bluetooth has to be on though