instant hotspot not working

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by renegee, Aug 22, 2014.

1. renegee macrumors newbie

renegee

Hi,

Anyone else having issues with Instant Hotspot not working on their Macbook?

I'm running Yosemite Beta 2 & IOS 8 Beta 5 on Macbook Pro 2013 & iPhone 5s.

I see my iPhone from the WIFI drop down menu but when I try to connect I get the following error: Failed To Enable Personal Hot Spot.

I've tried resetting network settings, restarting both devices & NADA!

Just wondering if anyone else has managed to get around this.

Thanks...

P.S I can make phones calls from the mac which is awesome but handoff isn't working. If you got an answer to fix handoff, it's welcomed.

2. clubtech macrumors member

I assume you are running the second public beta of Yosemite?
    If so I have the same exact issue. I think handoff is only compatible with the same sequential beta of ios (I.e ios beta 6) which no has aside from carriers.
    In previous betas release note apple did state that handoff would only work with same beta release across platforms (iOS beta - Yosemite beta, iOS beta 2 - Yosemite beta 2 etc).

The latest Yosemite beta is the 6th developer beta that will work with the 6th iOS beta which was only released to carriers.

3. iFoggy macrumors member

I am running the same version of the beta's across iOS8 and DP6 and I have the same issue, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't...very flaky, OS X 10.9 had similar issues for me as well, USB cable more reliable as a connection

4. oldwren macrumors 6502

oldwren

What clubtech was saying is that the Yosemite DP6 is the sixth beta while there were only five betas of iOS 8 released to developers.

5. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

have you tried turning Bluetooth on both devices? No need to pair devices just check WiFi and should see a new entry for iPhone hotspot.... least that's how i got it all to work when i last looked under beta 4 of ios and Yosemite

6. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Bluetooth is on for both my devices but I can't connect either.

iPhone 5S running Beta 5
    2013 rMBP running PB2

7. renegee thread starter macrumors newbie

renegee

Happy to report that instant Hotspot is working with PB3 & IOS 8 on iPhone 6. This feature is awesome!